Can I get some clarification?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen the tire sizing chart and read all the posts..on this site and others. But once again tire size?! I have seen guys who say they have put on 255/70 on their "stock" Libby's and had no rubbing at all. Then they post a pic and their ride is lifted? Others say they have put 255/70 on with no lift and only minimal rubbing. I have also read from one member that he put on 245/75 with only minimal rubbing. WTF? How big of a difference is an at or an mt going to have on sizing? I am not looking for the same old answers...anyone who has actually put these tires on their unlifted libby's speak up....PLEASE...I am getting frustrated :-({|=

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 245/70/16 BFG AT KOs on my CRD and no rubbing issues at all. The sun was not being helpful when I took these pictures ](*,)

You must be registered for see images

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those look great...have a smaller set on mine...might have to go with those next time...love the BFG AT/KO

dnm45227

Reaction score
Ya know I was little confused too. It doesn't help that our '02 ltd has 245/70/16's and our '05 rennie has 235/75/16's. When I go to get the rennie some new shoes I was going to bring up the same question.
Since it's been asked, I have a couple of more questions.
Isn't the rennie "more" trail rated than the ltd?
If so, why the tire size diff. Could it possibly be a pre-post lowered thing?

Thanks,
Doug

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dnm45227 said:
Ya know I was little confused too. It doesn't help that our '02 ltd has 245/70/16's and our '05 rennie has 235/75/16's. When I go to get the rennie some new shoes I was going to bring up the same question.
Since it's been asked, I have a couple of more questions.
Isn't the rennie "more" trail rated than the ltd?
If so, why the tire size diff. Could it possibly be a pre-post lowered thing?

Thanks,
Doug

Are you sure that your Rennie has 235/75/16s on it all the one I looked at had 235/70/16s on them, AFAIK the only 75 series tire offered in '05 was the 225/75/16s like I replaced.

EDIT: just dug up my '05 brochure and it lists 235/70/16s for the Rennie package (biggrin)

dnm45227

Reaction score
You're correct. The rennie has 225/75/16's, the ltd has 235/70/16's. Still wonder why the '02 ltd has bigger stock tires than an '05 rennie though.

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It because your Rennie has the standard all-season tire(Goodyear wrangler ST) for the KJs and your Limited came with the All-Terrains(Goodyear Wrangler SR-A, still can't imagin how Goodyear can call them an "all-terrain" tire).
The only real difference in size is that the 235/70/16s are 10mm wider in section width, the overall height is so close to being the same that there only tenths of an inch diiference between the two.

According to BFGs webite the 225/75/16 is .2" taller and .6 narrower that the 235/70/16s. (biggrin)

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have 245 70 R 16 Revos on my stock 04

You must be registered for see images

no rubbing no lift

after tuning the steering wheel from lock to lock you WOULD get rubbing with a 255/70 r 16 but if you have a pre lowered 02 you might not

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
In my case I went with a backspace on my wheel that caused a lot of rubbing. I think if I did go to another wheel with 5.0-5.5 backspaceing my rubbing issues would be considerably less. Right now I am running a 4.0 backspace with 245/75R16 tires. However, I didn't know this when I got the wheels last year.

Bennett

dnm45227

Reaction score
Fouros, that looks really sweet. I just want to make sure it didn't affect the speedo calibration?

Bonehead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same size on mine 245/70/16 and the speedometer show 1 mph slower than I'm going---speedo shows 60 I'm really going 61 . I can live with that (biggrin)

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies...I didn't get the answers I was looking for but they may not exist? I have a pre-lowered '02 ltd. and it looks like I am going to try a 255/70 on her. Anyway, finally decided on a tire...Toyo Open country MT...great looking tire and I read some good reviews but when I called to order them I was informed that the smallest they come is a 285 #-o So back to the drawing board.

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With some trimming do u guys think a 245/75 will work on a pre-lowered '02? I know the tire chart says it is too big but if a post '02 Liberty needs a 1.5 inch lift and mine is pre-lowered being an inch higher? Yes? No? I read on a post that one member had them on with minimal rubbing but for the life of me I can't find the post cause I would like to ask him for some clarification. Sorry for being a pain in the ars but I can't seem to find an MT in a 255?

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
you'll probably get some rubbing on the fog lamp doors at full lock
thinking, mt's have wider lugs....so...that it could be slightly wider than at's that are the same size...

again...all the rubbing issues just might be at full lock..

i think that .5 inch could still make a difference seeing as ur gonna be going w/ a 75 rather than a 70....

sorry, cant be much of help....
my understanding is that anything higher than 240's you will need a lift...
and some trimming. even with a lift, the tire size you want will require trimming (255/70)

I think the tire chart posted refers to prelowered models....
thats been around as long as i've had the KJ...

oh yeach checked out tirerack...got 2 hits for 255/70/16 MT's

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compa...ark=1&performance=ORMT&RunFlat=All&x=108&y=12

Liberty Titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Jon...if that tire chart refers to pre-lowered than I guess I have to change my thinking on tire sizes ](*,)

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Liberty Titan said:
Thanks for the info. Jon...if that tire chart refers to pre-lowered than I guess I have to change my thinking on tire sizes ](*,)

let us know what you end up doing, for future reference...
also curious to see how she will look like too

GL