Can I get a DIY rating on......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Though I've never removed it on my Jeep, I've done others that were similar. I would say a 4 out of 10.

Other than a 35mm hub nut socket, you'll just need basic hand tools.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have said 5 but I dont know with a broken right arm it might be more like a 7
OUCH howed it happen.
And are you talking cv shaft and intermediate shaft or just cv that intermidate shaft can be hard to seperate unless its worn out then you schould do both

jeepchic79

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there was a humming in it when i bought it ... Not thinking about getting it checked before i signed ... Bad judgment .. Took it to the dealer to get the recalled ball joints checked .... They just said don`t put it into 4 wheel or you will lose your axle ... And quoted the job at 700$ Said it was the right axle assembly ... Although i got another quote from the stealership i bought it at for 150$ part and labor . But i broke my wrist with no insurance so . What extra $ i had went to get it casted and the orthopedic appointments which are 140 miles total round trip . So guessing how hard it would be to do it my self .. What tools Etc

Ohh lol and my 5 year old dead weighted on me dragged his feet and snapped my Radial bone ..

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
with a cast it will be difficult but not impossible.
heres a write up i did
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44548

I've had the front axle of my YJ apart a few times by myself. From the write up link given above it doesn't seem all that different on a Liberty except maybe the wrench sizes & axles are different.

You could find an independent garage with cheaper hourly rates for less than $700 or considering your wrist is in a cast simply call a buddy or your brother in law over. Then again your five year old sounds pretty strong :p

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
I think we can get some help for you on the labor front, if you are willing to drive a bit.

RedKJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll lend a hand if we get a time and place together; provided I can make it due to work and school:D
If ya wind up heading to Dayton I could always follow ya up there as you pass through my area if you are worried about the trip up. I'll be sure to bring my tow strap;)

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say once you get the hub off your golden..being a libberty there can't be that much rust..not like my YJ anyway.. and anti sieze is your friend

95Y "the hubs on the YJ come off with no problem now" jman