cam chain loose on one side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

walazono

Reaction score
I was replacing the valve cover gaskets and noticed the passenger side timing chain was a little loose, the drivers side had no slack. There is enough slack on the passenger side to insert the shaft of a screw driver between the chain and the top of the tensioner.

Will the tensioner take up the slack once the engine is running, or should I tear down the front of the motor to investigate? I really wasn't looking for more to do this weekend.

This 2004 3.7 engine has been running good, just a little tap/knock when accelerating when it's cold out for about the first 1/2 mile. No noise at idle so I can't tell where that noise is from, but it goes away at the same place down the road every time when it's cold outside.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is what I mean about a loose chain, notice the room for a screw driver.

Thanks!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That appears to be the chain guide you are refering to. Usually if the chain is loose you'll hear a chatter when the tensioner isn't doing its job. I wouldn't worry about it now.

walazono

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your reply and experience. There is .29 inch of play between the chain and the guide. If I rotate the engine a little there is almost no play on that side and about that much of play in the driver's side instead. Always slack on what I thought would be the pulling side - opposite of the tensioner.

I'm at 130,000 so I hope the chains are good for a while, just concerned because I bought the Liberty with a clogged oil pick up screen. I wonder where else sludge may have found it's way. The inside of the valve covers were mostly clean though, so I'll go put on my freshly painted valve covers back on and drive until I hear the engine ask for attention.

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Members online