California Emissions Cats Removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keajwhee

Reaction score
I currently have a 05 rocky mountain KJ with 225,000. It has California emissions converters and one is clogged. I live in TN where we have no emissions standards so I would like to go to the lesser expensive cats. If I do, will the check engine light remain on if I do so? I've considered straight piping with the mini converter set up in the downstream 02 port spacing it away from the stream. Has anyone ever done this with success? My concern is that I want the check engine light off and want to know if its possible with a standard converter or mini converter.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score

Keajwhee

Reaction score
If you can get away with simply replacing the cat, the walker brand may be a good option.
Keep in mind you need to have NTK working 02 sensors in place, to avoid engine lights.
Check out some of our threads about this topic here: https://www.google.com/search?q=jeepkj.com+catalytic+converter&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1
What if any OBD2 codes do you have?
Hope this helps.

I have a p0420. I've already changed o2 sensors. I looked at parts store cats. I have noticed that some cats they sale say fit are fed, epa, and California models. Im curious to know if that means they are efficient enough to keep the light off but not efficient enough to pass the inspection in cali. The only one I found through a local parts store was 800 dollars for the part only. They don't sale CE stuff anywhere here

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have read - replacement cats will work fine but will not last as long as OEM , They have less precious metals then the OEM's and why thieves steal originals .

Jaybird91

Reaction score
I would like to share a little advice for california emission cats. I live in so cal and I called a few local muffler shops and found one shop that cut off and welded a new cat for me . (Drivers side) only the catalytic converter not the whole Pipe.Took one day for them to get the cat and do it. And only cost me 300$ . I had the same code and my original cat was toasted and the honeycomb fell apart inside . With 150k i figure why not. no more smoke or codes and got a year warranty. Not sure what brand was put in but its california passed which all that matters and still drives like it should now. Just call around and you will find a shop that will help . 04 kj 150k