Bypassing Glow Plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goatkj

Reaction score
All,

We have a 2006 2.8L CRD. I just changed out the 7V ceramic glow plugs to 5V metallic. I need to start the jeep with the glow plugs bypassed to take it to dealer to have memory flashed (I'll use the engine block heater to pre-heat engine).

Any straightforward ideas to bypass the glow plugs?

I was thinking I could just disconnect the fuse. Which fuse is dedicated to the glow plugs on the 2.8L CRD? Any issues with disconnecting it to bypass glow plugs?

Another idea was to disconnect the connection to each glow plug. It might be a pain trying to reconnect wires with all the equipment in the way (alternator bracket, intake elbow, fuel filter).

And another idea was to disconnect the relay altogether, but I just don't know if this would affect the ability to start the truck in another way.

Thanks!
Ryan

goatkj

Reaction score
In the end, I answered my own question...there's a dedicated connector that's easy to access for the glow plugs (right on the alternator support bracket).

I cleaned out a ton of black carbon from the inside of the EGR elbow. It's nice to know there's some carbon sequestering going on :) The build up was pretty substantial, but there was still passage way for air flow.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

We have a 2006 2.8L CRD. I just changed out the 7V ceramic glow plugs to 5V metallic. I need to start the jeep with the glow plugs bypassed to take it to dealer to have memory flashed (I'll use the engine block heater to pre-heat engine).

Any straightforward ideas to bypass the glow plugs?

I was thinking I could just disconnect the fuse. Which fuse is dedicated to the glow plugs on the 2.8L CRD? Any issues with disconnecting it to bypass glow plugs?

Another idea was to disconnect the connection to each glow plug. It might be a pain trying to reconnect wires with all the equipment in the way (alternator bracket, intake elbow, fuel filter).

And another idea was to disconnect the relay altogether, but I just don't know if this would affect the ability to start the truck in another way.

Thanks!
Ryan

You need to disconnect connector C113 which plugs onto the glow plug module. This disconnects all glow plugs.

There are no relays involved here.