Buying Used KJ - what should I look out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdnchris

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying an '02 Liberty Limited Edition as a second vehicle for my wife.

I've read mixed reviews on the '02 liberty ranging from "It's a lemon" to "It's the best vehicle I've owned". We've tested a few and we both love it, but the negative reviews are a bit worrisome.

So I thought this would be best place to get an actual informed opinion from knowledgable owners. What are your thoughts on the '02 Limited Edition, is there anything I should looking out for?

Thanks for your help
- Chris

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife has an 02 sport with 80k on it, and no problems at all. We just bought an 07 last year because we've had such good luck with the 02 and we love the KJ's.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
02's are one of the better years, stronger ******, and higher up from the factory.

And also, I have nearly 90k on my 05 without any issues, knock on wood. :D

KJ's aren't Land Rovers.....they aren't shop queens (like my LR3 is). :D

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being in Whitby, you are no stranger to the salt encrusted roads of the GTA. Watch for rust around the rear hatch window, and underneath the car, brake and fuel lines etc. Otherwise a good choice.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 has 91k miles and hasn't needed any unexpected repairs. All of the repairs or upgrades done were due to my beating on it.

Many members here are over 150k on their's!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
My 2002 is a the best vehicle I've ever owned, hands down. I have over 170K miles on mine.

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my 03, LE, 3.7, 45RFE auto, etc, new off the lot in Jan 03. Now at 127K miles.
Would not take any other for it. Little critter grows on you and works great for what I need up here.

Alejandro

Reaction score
I have an '04 Liberty Sport, with 122km. Nothing substantially wrong other than the need to replace the Throttle Position Sensor; beyond that the Liberty has been an awesome purchase. By the way, howdy cdnchris from your brother next door (Oshawa).