Bump stops required for OME/Bilstein lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FL03

Reaction score
Hi all,
My suspension’s getting pretty worn in my 2003 so I’ve been looking into replacement options, figured a lift would just be nice to have if I’m replacing it all anyway, and so I’m planning on getting the OME 927/948 combo with the fitting Bilstein struts and shocks.

My only question is: is it necessary to extend the bump stops? I’ve read all about that and the process of doing so on this forum already, but I don’t do any off-roading and the only towing I do is maybe once a month I’ll pull a trailer weighing less than 1500 lbs. total (load included). Other than that, it’s small city driving and the occasional highway trip.

I know it might be stupid not to do it anyway but I’m really just looking to make the ride smoother for everyday use and if I don’t have to get new bumpstops for the front and drill into the spring perch in the rear then I’d rather just avoid it.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Short answer, ...... YES
any inch of height in a suspension lift requires an inch of bumpstop
Suspension will flex enough going into some parking to necessitate extra bumpstops
no extra bumpstop, then blown shock / shocks
Not forcing you to do it , but is it worth the risk of blowing a shock out ?

FL03

Reaction score
Short answer, ...... YES
any inch of height in a suspension lift requires an inch of bumpstop
Suspension will flex enough going into some parking to necessitate extra bumpstops
no extra bumpstop, then blown shock / shocks
Not forcing you to do it , but is it worth the risk of blowing a shock out ?
Yeah that’s definitely true, no point in saving myself the hassle on bumpstops if I’m going to blow out my suspension. I’ve really just been so skeptical of the hockey pucks for the rear cause I’m a Florida native and I’ve never even seen one in real life haha.

Thanks for your help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s definitely true, no point in saving myself the hassle on bumpstops if I’m going to blow out my suspension. I’ve really just been so skeptical of the hockey pucks for the rear cause I’m a Florida native and I’ve never even seen one in real life haha.

Thanks for your help
I buy them 50 at a time , plus you can buy them online
Let me look tomorrow afternoon for you , Im sure I have a few spares LOL
Buy me a beer someday LOL

Latest posts

Members online