Brush Guard and Lights, Installed....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, got it all done today. Took me a while with the kids and the phone ringing, but i finally got it all bolted up. The instructions with this one, a no-name one from eBay, were less than most might need. Basically you get all the parts and bags of hardware and a exploded parts drawing to go by and thats it. I downloaded and looked at the Aries instructions for their similarly designed model for reference. One thing to note about this cheaper knockoff, the hardware is MUCH THICKER and HEAVIER than the others i looked at in person. You get a steel plate with two bolts welded into it that slips up into the frame, the other ones i looked at you get a couple pieces of bar stock with bolts pressed into them. The plates were a good 3/16" thick and the brackets that bolt up to them were also just as thick if not a bit thicker, very sturdy.

The only problem i had was the back two bolts that hold the guard to the bracket, they are nearly inaccessible. I had to turn the wheels one way and then the other so i could reach in through the fog light access hole in the wheel well, it was a pain to reach and tighten them, but overall it went ok.

There is a brace that goes from the one upper crosstube to the upper radiator support. It bolts into the back of the crosstube and it's supposed to bolt into one of the holes holding the hood release bracket. Now on my 03' it had two large rivets in those holes, so i don't know if it should have been a bolt or screw or what, they looked factory original. So i took a grinder and carefully took off the head of the rivet to the point that i could pop it out, i would have drilled it but it was an aluminum rivet with a steel shank, so they are hard to drill because the bit keeps wandering into the aluminum. The self tapping bolt included in the hardware kit was one size, diameter wise, too small to get a tight fit. So i have to pick up another bolt for that yet tomorrow. But for the most part its done, bolted up, lights installed and wired, and everything is good to go. I just have to finish aiming the lights tonight after it gets dark.

It did come with the guards that go into the hoops over the headlights, i haven't decided on whether i like it better with them or without them. My wife says she likes it either way, figures, the one person that will usually help me settle a decision and she is undecided!!

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Looks good.

Thanks!

Now i might have to post pictures one way and then the other and take a vote. I kinda like it without those extra bars in there over the headlights, but i also like the look with them.. Decisions... :confused:

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice. If I had the funds to do lights, I probably would put my Westin back on.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice. If I had the funds to do lights, I probably would put my Westin back on.

This one is very similar to the Aries and Westin models, i actually looked at the instructions for both to help out with the little info this one comes with. It came with really nice hardware though so no complaints there!

It was a lot heavier design then i was expecting for the money, heavy hardware, all thick steel, etc..

$238 including shipping from eBay.

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the bars but hey, its your jeep!!! I say try a week of each and you'll know. I had the same problem with awful instructions, but finally figured out how to slip the little "nut bars" (pardon the expression) into the hole. My Ram (also called aries for some reason) had the same welded nuts on the nice steel plates with all steel hardware, etc. So nice and sturdy! Nothing better than mounting with black powder coated steel is there?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah i just can't get myself to put those pieces back in over the headlights, i like the open look!

Thanks!

I have seen them both ways and I like it better the way you have it now. Just my opinion.

Dave

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love the bars but hey, its your jeep!!! I say try a week of each and you'll know. I had the same problem with awful instructions, but finally figured out how to slip the little "nut bars" (pardon the expression) into the hole. My Ram (also called aries for some reason) had the same welded nuts on the nice steel plates with all steel hardware, etc. So nice and sturdy! Nothing better than mounting with black powder coated steel is there?

Yeah i know it looks good both ways! What would be neat is if a guy could make a way to have them removable without having a wrench, kinda like some quick release arrangement. Then i could put them in when i wanted to, going bush whacking out in the pasture lands here, and take them off for every day driving. Hmm, might have to work on that.

Nothing sexier than black powder coat... I like chrome but its always been a maintenance item on other vehicles i have owned. I like the low maintenance of powder coated steel.

Hmm, now i need some black powder coated nerf bars perhaps...

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen them both ways and I like it better the way you have it now. Just my opinion.

Dave

At first i thought those extra bars look neat, but now that i have taken them out and driven around today, and kept looking at it, i like it without more now.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking the same thing for my KJ! But I've heard they kill ground clearance so I'm rethinking it.

Hmm.. Well lets examine this the way i was for a second.

If you get a set of the tubular nerf bars they bolt up to the frame, yeah i know unibody but you know what i mean, and that sits down as far as the bottom of the nerf bars from what i have seen, my one neighbors son has a KJ with nerf bars on it, so if anything bottoms out its going to be the frame or anything hanging below the frame, not the nerf bars.

If anything the nerf bars help protect the rocker panel a bit, the don't hang any lower than anything else underneath.

Latest posts

Members online