Broke pully?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I was about a mile away from home today when my battery light came on and my heat temp was a little hot. I turned the heat on full blast and got home.

When I got home I noticed the serp belt was off where it should be. It was still attached for the most part minus the pully. I then noticed a pully gone. It is not either one of the top two... The alt on the right and the left one which I am not sure what it is. I know the water pump and it was not that either. It is kind of below the left and seems all plastic. It looks like the plastic broke and or melted and I have pics of what is left. It looks cheap enough, but I wanted to find out what it is and what other precautions I should take before replacement? It seems that some of the plastic is still around the nut and the pics represent what I recovered.

Can anyone tell me what this is and how I should go about replacing it.

Attachments

• IMG00002-20100719-1929.jpg
    IMG00002-20100719-1929.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG00003-20100719-1929.jpg
    IMG00003-20100719-1929.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 14

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like an idler pully bearing went bad heated up locked up
Should just remove the bolt from the center and bolt on a new one
and get a new Gator belt as well if the old belt is good keep it for a back-up

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$40 for the belt and $17 for the pully. Do I also need a special tool to get the belt back on?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No use a rachit or braker bar in the square to move the tenchion pully back look it up first try the how to section

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a common failure on the Liberty. If you do a search of the forums you'll find other discussions.

When I had mine replaced under an extended service warranty they replaced the water pump too. Examine your's while you're changing your pulley & belt.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Just make sure that what ever belt you get that it is an EPDM belt!
Gates makes them and the stock dealer part is also.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been running a gatorback belt for 20-30k miles. Has been great, but I also replaced the tensioner around the same as good measure, was starting to get noisy.

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pully

So it almost looks like the pully that is broke is the one attatched to the tentioner piece to take the serp belt on and off. Is that still considered an ideler pully? Also what is the process to replace the entire tensioner assembly and do I need to do that in this case?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
replace the whole thing tensioner
it wears over time and becomes weaker
so new tensioner / new belt / good to go!
10 minute job even if you stop for a beer

jblake1986

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great! does anyone have a FSM or diagram for replacing the tensioner with both pullies? I would also really appreciate a part #. Can you help me?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tensioner is held on by 1 bolt,takes longer to remove the belt the change the tensioner.The new tensioner will come with both pulley's mounted on it.

Ditto
I would rate this job EZ just take your time and like tjkj said spend the $ on quality parts.

valvestem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The tensioner is held on by 1 bolt,takes longer to remove the belt the change the tensioner.The new tensioner will come with both pulley's mounted on it.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Last edited: