Brand New '06 Liberty Renegade - Two Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erzebet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

Very nice site. I purchased a brand new 06 Liberty Renegade with a 6-speed MT last week and I am hoping someone out there won't mind answering two questions for me:

1) Since the vehicle is new (had 100 miles on it), should I be concerned about the balljoint recall? Somehow, I have that nagging feeling that the dealer DID not address this issue prior to my purchase...shall I take it back and have them replaced, or should I put some mileage on the vehicle first?

2) I previously owned a 94 Wrangler YJ with a 5 speed manual transmission and absolutely loved it, so I was in the market for another MT. Needless to say, this is a rare find and when I saw this 6 speed Liberty at a dealer last week - I snatched it right up. The problem is the 6 speeds...shifting from 5th to 6th gear is a bit unerving for fear I wil shift into reverse accidently.... are there any 6-speed MT owners out there experiencing the same uneasiness? I am hoping it is something I just have to get used to. Other than this issue, I love the vehicle....

Regards...

06Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score

gunflint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up our new 06 the end of October. I mentioned the recall at the time of sale and am getting it done the 21st of December. I'm guessing that if the Liberty was sitting on a dealers lot they probably didn't get the LBJ work done as there is a waiting list at most dealerships and they would do the recalls on the Liberties that are on the road first.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I've got a manual as well - for me driving on the right hand side of the car, I have absolutely no problem with changing from 5th to 6th. I do it so rarely on the first part, and secondly you really have to make an effort to shift it into reverse. (not so good for rocking the car though)

However I'm not sure about LHD cars, although I can't see that there would be that much difference!

Congrats on your choice of transmission - nothing quite drives like a manual!

And welcome!

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Usually manual transmissions prevent you from shifting into reverse unless you are going under a certain speed. (very slow) I dont know for sure if this is the case on the Liberty, as I dont have an MT. However, I bet it is...

Whelan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You cannot shift into Reverse without removing the lock on the gear shifter itself. Most cars with a 6 speed either have you pop the shift knob up or down or pull a lever to engage. I know that my brothers Jetta you have to push the lever down and shift into R.

And on my gf's mothers S2000 you cannot shift into R from 6th, its impossible.

All cars will have some kind of mechanism to prevent this. I am sure you can if you removed it but from the factory its impossible.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i had problems for a week going from 5-6 but once i got used to it it is easy. when you are going that fast i believe you can't even get the shifter over far enough to hit reverse (locked out) and when stopped it takes more effort to move the shifter spring over to go down into reverse. mike

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and congrats on your new KJ.

I see you are from NY and in NY it is against the law for a dealer to sell a vehicle that has a major safety recall that is not done. As noted above, check the website to see if the recall is outstanding as it will tell you. Most likely it was done. In the event that it needs to be done, bring it back and schedule it. It shouldn't just fall apart on a brand new vehicle that's not even broken in yet so you shouldn't worry about that.

I can't speak about the MT as I'm shiftless......(A/T- that is) and it was answered.

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whelan said:
You cannot shift into Reverse without removing the lock on the gear shifter itself. Most cars with a 6 speed either have you pop the shift knob up or down or pull a lever to engage. I know that my brothers Jetta you have to push the lever down and shift into R.

And on my gf's mothers S2000 you cannot shift into R from 6th, its impossible.

All cars will have some kind of mechanism to prevent this. I am sure you can if you removed it but from the factory its impossible.

There is no lock on my gearstick, if you're saying there is one on yours, that's strange: mine you just shove to the far right, apply a bit more pressure to the gearstick in that direction and you're in.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do no believe you can go into R when your going fast enough to be in 6th. Ive never driven a 6 speed, but you would be people wrecking all the time b/c they put it into R while going 60mph.. :-k

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically you really have to try to put it into reverse.

moose

Reaction score
yes, it works the same way on the US version and the British version. I have never tried to go into R at 60, but it is almost impossible to get it over there, let alone if thy have it speed limited. The 6spd rocks, you just may notice some dogging from the ESP if you pull out and turn a corner in your 06.

2003KJ

Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
Do no believe you can go into R when your going fast enough to be in 6th. Ive never driven a 6 speed, but you would be people wrecking all the time b/c they put it into R while going 60mph.. :-k

That and you'd see a plethora of transmissions laying in the middle of the road...lol

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the purchase. Like other's said - MT shouldn't let you go from 6th to reverse.

Me and the wife originally wanted a 6-speed...the delaer sold their one 6-speed 4x4 the day before we showed up though. It's a pretty rare combination. We ended up with the A4 though since we had to have 4x4. Probably a good thing for me as there are plenty of times i wouldn't have been able to navigate certain situations with a 6-speed. I'm simply not that skilled i guess.