Brake Power Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StockBlack

Reaction score
Hi, I recently changed from a 98 Cherokee to a 2005 Liberty and had a question about the brakes. Both the Cherokee and Liberty do not have antilock brakes. With the Cherokee, I was able to lock up the wheels fairly easily under hard braking and the pedal would firm up before the bottom of the stroke. The braking on the Liberty isn't horrible but I can barely get the tires to squeal under hard braking and the pedal makes it to the floor without completely firming up. Pads and rotors are in good condition and I've bled the brakes. I've tried the test of pumping up the brakes with the engine off to look for the pedal sinking to the floor to check the MC and the pedal seems to stay steady.
All that is left in the braking circuit is the MC and booster and I wanted to see if this was just the way the Liberty's brakes are before I spent any more time and money trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

Thanks

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '05 has ABS, so it's not an accurate comparison, but it will darn near stand her on her nose if you stomp on it. It sounds like something isn't quite right.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd block the flex lines with visegrips (gently) and feel the pedal NONMOVING!!! to see if it got rock hard and high. If it doesn't there's MC issues. If it does, remove vg's one at a time and see when pedal travel increases, front or rear.

Bob

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say you bled the brakes.. ok great, no air. But have you changed the brake fluid? ALL of it from the reservoir down to the calipers.

Brake fluid absorbs a lot of moisture and degrades with time, heat and pressure. It may be compressing quite a bit more than it should and causing a loss of braking pressure.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would certainly have the brakes system checked(your pumping with engine off then turn on confirms good booster and MC) and have the system flushed.Many other factors could be at fault like cheap pads and rotors,glazed rotors/pads,and other factors that reduce braking performance.

But on the other hand you also got to remember that the KJ weighs 700lbs-1000lbs(depending on options) more then a XJ.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But on the other hand you also got to remember that the KJ weighs 700lbs-1000lbs(depending on options) more then a XJ.

True, but most also have 4 wheel discs where the XJ had drums in the rear, so I would think it evens out somewhat.

I'd say my Liberty stops about the same as my XJ did, although the XJ may have only seemed to stop as fast as it did because it would bottom out the front shocks if you really hit it (man, that was a ride).

Lester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my '03 KJ a few months ago, I took it to my mechanic to give it the 'once-over'. I noticed I had a soft brake pedal and mentioned it to him. He said all was good on the brake system. The pads were nearly new. He told me that, more than likely, when the brake pads were replaced the rotor was not turned and the pads just needed to adjust (wear) to the rotor. Sure enough, after driving it for while, the pedal firmed up and feels like it should.

Last edited:

Members online