Brake lights stuck on. And no brake lights.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dear friends, after a long trip back to home, while parking to garage, i found that brake lights including 3rd light,did nott go off until i turn off the ignition. (intermittently i face the same issue today) Turning off the engine and turning the ignition to on position, i lost all brake lights. I took the car to dealership and brake lights were stuck again. After shutting down to engine they did not work same way as yesterday. We checked the fuses, they were ok, we checked the bulbs and connectors for oxidation they were ok. checked the brake switch under pedal it is ok. all other lights at tails or in front are working fine.

what can be the reason for that? any ideas? this is the only daily driver we have these days and we cant drive like this way. it can be dangerous.

sockets? wiring loom? bus? body contol unit (if any) ?

Last edited:

ionizer

Reaction score
My Windstar had the brake lights stay on . it was the master cylinder. Possibly sensor associated with brake fluid level. Pedal soft.? Close to floor?

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check out the brake switch a little better. Seen them do some funky things when gone bad. Hope it's that simple for you it's an easy fix.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check out the brake switch a little better. Seen them do some funky things when gone bad. Hope it's that simple for you it's an easy fix.

I agree with this^^^^ the brake switch is a bit complicated....there are actually three switches altogether in the same assembly.

Otherwise you need to trace the wiring using the circuit diagram for the correct year model....you can download the Service Manuals...includes circuit diagrams.... here:

Index of /manuals/Jeep/KJ

Start with the circuit of the brake switch to see how it is made up!

windman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it turned up to be a problematic bulb! i have a theory. since i installed a new brake switch, burned and melted bulb holder was short.