Brake issue (I think)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Milesvdustin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I recently flushed my brake system as the brakes were mushy. The old fluid was dark like maple syrup and I got new clean fluid in all the lines. I used a mityvac to change the fluid from the bleeders on each caliper. I started in the right rear, then left rear, then front right, then front left. Brakes were only marginally better after that. I think it's time for a rotor turn and new pads. However, today when I was driving I noticed that the jeep will pull a little left when braking, and at one point it seemed like the brakes stuck a little coming from a stop and I smelled burnt rubber/brake pads. Couldn't really pinpoint the location of the smell, most likely seemed from the front left wheel. Checked under the hood and didn't see anything or smell anything out of place. Some spit on the rotor barely sizzled right after stopping so the rotors don't seem to be getting too hot. Any ideas?

Yes, I smell everything to troubleshoot a lot of times. It's a habit I picked up in the marines working on avionics systems in helicopters. Burnt electrical stuff has a distinct smell, so it was a reliable way to track down an issue you couldn't see right away but could smell!

Last edited:

TheGateII

Reaction score
Feel the wheels temperature with your hand immediately after a ride with frequent braking. You should be able to tell where the stuck pads are.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had disc brake calibers seize before causing the rotors to overheat but that was after replacement of my brake pads.
Do you think maybe you accidentally sprayed your exhaust with brake fluid?

Please let us know what you find.
We're now interested.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesn't deal directly with the burning fluid smell but in today's vehicles I don't believe in turning rotors - I prefer to replace them.

As long as pads last these days and as thin as the rotors are it just makes more sense to me to replace them - the calipers are off anyway to might as well. HOWEVER, proper bedding-in is required (as noted in another thread on here) to ensure long term viability. Again, just my personal choice and others may prefer to turn the rotors.

As far as the smell you've noticed...Sounds like a sticking caliper. Could be the hardware needs replaced - like one of the pins or sliders.

Bob