bracket for pistol holster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a crippled-up old geezer that would appreciate some help.
With a lot of crime all over the country,I'm aware that an old guy like me who gets around with a cane,is a target.So I have a CCP and pack an LCP .380 in my pocket.

When I'm in my 2012 KK Jet,I want to have quick access to an M&P .40 S&W.
I think that a bracket could be made that,when pinched between the steering column and the housing,could secure a holster under the steering
wheel.This would be on the right side,directly below the wiper stalk.
Is there any chance of doing damage,if I made an L-Shaped bracket out of 1/4" aluminum and pinched it between the column and the skirt/housing.
The .40 will weigh about 5 pounds when fully loaded with 16 rounds.
Does anyone have any better idea?

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always envisioned a holster secured to the center console on the side between the seat and the console. I don't know how the KK's center console looks space wise in between the seat and console but it might work

offroad cowboy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my holster siting next to my seat and center console next to the ebrake in my kj .... quick draw and easy access

sent by telegraph from my k30

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
I get everyone's point but my brain is wondering...

"If that's crash survival space, what would happen if..."

I'm just envisioning a worst case scenario where the gun either 1. Won't cooperate with the survival space, partially creating or contributing to injuries or 2. May shoot my foot in the case of a collision.

I'm sure #2 is near impossible, but freak accidents do happen.

Am I the only one who's brain is going bonkers over this?

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do have a pretty good point, Marlon. The possibility of the gun discharging is about as high as getting struck be lightning while being attacked by a badger.
However, I want some room for my knees when/if the dash comes back in a major crash. Here I am more concerned with the mount than the actual weapon.
Also, the steering column mounts are visible from the exterior of the vehicle, which is something you may not want to advertise.

Between the driver's seat and the center console is the better place. More hidden, better access and better protected.

What kind of pistol are you carrying? 5 pounds loaded seems a bit hefty

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is under the driver seat adjustment. Its held onto the seat adjuster with a flat bar and small hose clams. Then a IWB holster is mounted to that. My 1911 slides right in it. But 99% of the time my 1911 is on my hip

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390143717306.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390143717306.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 61
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390143769556.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390143769556.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1390143779887.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390143779887.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 54

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

What about this thing:

Vehicle Handgun Mount | Vehicle Gun Mount | Steering Wheel Gun Holster

Seems like that would fit the bill.

That looks good enough that I'm going to get one to try it.Thank you!
I see a guy on ebay has sold a ton of them.
The problem with the KK is that there is little room between the center console and the seat.Especially for a high capacity pistol like the S&W M&P 40. They have a double-stack magazine,which holds 15 rounds,so the grip frame is pretty thick.The Crimson Trace laser adds very little to the width of the grip.
The weight without a magazine is 25 oz,so the loaded weight is probably a little over
3 pounds.

Last edited:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

With seat all the way back in a KJ.
You must be registered for see images

Aluminum plate secured to console. Industrial strength Velcro glued to plate. Maxpedition tactical holster secured by Velcro. Adjustable to different weapons. Holds full size just fine and small in a pocket holster. Also a small towel the same color as interior takes care of the concealabilty.

Last edited:

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a good setup.
How did you secure the aluminum plate to the console?
BTW - looking at their website-all I see are with the pistol loop at 90 dgrees to the velcro strap ???

Last edited:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But 99% of the time my 1911 is on my hip
Now that's a unique technique.
When being taken by surprise by someone at gunpoint, be sure to ask the guy to give you a moment to reach for your gun from the console! Sneaking your hand to a concealed gun that's holstered on your left side can give him the surprise of his (remaining) life. I wouldn't have my gun anywhere but on me.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that's a unique technique.
When being taken by surprise by someone at gunpoint, be sure to ask the guy to give you a moment to reach for your gun from the console! Sneaking your hand to a concealed gun that's holstered on your left side can give him the surprise of his (remaining) life. I wouldn't have my gun anywhere but on me.

Go sit in your Jeep with your right arm relaxed by your leg - my hand rests right on the grip. Go ahead and reach for yours.

With that being said - its only there when traveling.

Last edited:

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is under the driver seat adjustment. Its held onto the seat adjuster with a flat bar and small hose clams. Then a IWB holster is mounted to that. My 1911 slides right in it. But 99% of the time my 1911 is on my hip

Do you routinely carry "cocked and locked"?

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you routinely carry "cocked and locked"?

TLDR: Yes.... if its on my body....thats how a 1911 should be carried....period

-You should never carry a hammer down with a round in the chamber just like a AR
-You cant pull the trigger if the thumb safety is up.
-You cant pull the trigger if the grip safety is not pressed
-You cant fire the gun unless the thumb safety is down, grip safety is pressed in and you pull the trigger

Mode 1: Magazine empty, chamber empty
Mode 2: Magazine loaded, chamber empty, hammer down
Mode 3: Magazine loaded, chamber loaded, hammer cocked, safety on

Its advised the owner to use Mode 2 (Condition 3) when carrying the pistol ready for use, and to use Mode 3 (Condition 1) when you must be prepared to use the pistol immediately without warning.

Now....whats a glock? Its cocked and locked ("trigger safety" ) also. Would you carry that?

That 1911 has a thumb safety, grip safety, firing pin block and my trained finger to stay off the trigger. Total of four safetys that must be overcome inorder to shoot the gun.

Im always prepared to use my 1911 at any time. Im not going to chamber a round when seconds count, so you must run like that.

Source: I have build around ten custom 1911s and have extensive training on the 1911 from the US military

Last edited:

al7fi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TLDR: Yes.... if its on my body....thats how a 1911 should be carried....period

-You should never carry a hammer down with a round in the chamber just like a AR
-You cant pull the trigger if the thumb safety is up.
-You cant pull the trigger if the grip safety is not pressed
-You cant fire the gun unless the thumb safety is down, grip safety is pressed in and you pull the trigger

Mode 1: Magazine empty, chamber empty
Mode 2: Magazine loaded, chamber empty, hammer down
Mode 3: Magazine loaded, chamber loaded, hammer cocked, safety on

Its advised the owner to use Mode 2 (Condition 3) when carrying the pistol ready for use, and to use Mode 3 (Condition 1) when you must be prepared to use the pistol immediately without warning.

Now....whats a glock? Its cocked and locked ("trigger safety" ) also. Would you carry that?

That 1911 has a thumb safety, grip safety, firing pin block and my trained finger to stay off the trigger. Total of four safetys that must be overcome inorder to shoot the gun.

Im always prepared to use my 1911 at any time. Im not going to chamber a round when seconds count, so you must run like that.

Source: I have build around ten custom 1911s and have extensive training on the 1911 from the US military

Well said! Was just asking because I saw the condition of your Colt.
I carry a 10mm Delta Elite when in the back country. However not cocked and locked since it is quite a different situation. Mode 2 works for me there.It has the disconnect on it but my 70 series in 9mm does not. Also have the .22 conversion by Colt for it and it is a sweetheart.

The Govt Model is used by many of our officers up here and for the reasons you stated they are C&L. (Mode3)

I well in love with the 1911A! when I got to fire it on a Base Pistol Team at Laredo AFB in early 70s, preparing for the ATC Pistol Championship. Best scores were the the 1911 in timed and rapid fire with .45 WC and ball ammo.

Have had a new 80 series in .45 which I sold when iI git the 10mm. I still owns the 9mm in 70 series and passed up a 70 series in 38 super. Still kicking myself for that

Tnx for your post and pictures.

manyplews

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My S&W M&P40 is striker-fired. It hasn't any safety but does have a crimson-trace which works great for me.