BoulderBars Installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you install them. I got a set of used ones and an installation kit from Quinn. So did you use the template and first mount them to the pinch weld then to the frame.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The template made it easy. After drilling those holes (pinch weld) I was able to use two bolts to temporarily hang the bars and mark the frame holes. I highly recommend making 1/8 pilot holes for everything. I ultimately had to widen two of the pinch weld holes to get everything aligned, but I blame that on manufacturing tolerances.

I was shorted two of the frame bolts and the head snapped of another (still have to extract that one) but all in all the install wasn't difficult - thanks to the included template. These bars are very sturdy.

PS. Gets some washers, you'll need them to make everything fit snuggly.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Just curious. How long did it take to do this project?

They look really nice and it add's a nice tough look at the same time providing excellent protection.

Bennett

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say about 3 hours, but that included a trip to the hardware store. Drilling took the great majority of time. I have 3 cordless drills and I managed to run out of juice at one point! Also worth mentioning ... a right angle drill is very handy. Just like anything else, I could do this so much faster the second time.

Underbelly shot:

You must be registered for see images

As you can see I also sprayed some rubberized undercoating to slow the rust.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed the black paint around the feet. Did you apply that after painting to help prevent any rust? What about at the pinch weld.. touch up paint? You mentioned washers, where do you put the washers?

Thanks.

andersonbc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The paint is rubberized undercoating. It comes in a spray can for about $4 and I sprayed it on after the install. I thought about touching up the pinch weld after I drilled the holes but I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't be a pain in the ass and/or chip off. The washers were to fill in gaps. It took two washers at each mounting point in between the pinch weld and the boulderbars to make up my gap. I also had to use a few on the center support bar that attaches to the body. I am only talking about very small gaps, but I didn't want to bend the pinch weld in order to tighten everything up snugly.

One more thing, be carefull when tightening the self-threading bolts that attach to the body. They are fairly easy to over-torque and strip.