Bottoming-out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ever since I bought my Liberty new in 2004, the body feels like it's bottoming out -- like a rear body mount or rear shock mount is broken -- when I drive on a street with broken or rough pavement or over railroad tracks, etc.

Two years ago, I replaced the 4 OEM Goodyear tires with Michelins (same size) but, when I turned the wheels fully to the right and left, the new front tires rubbed on the plastic wheel-well liners so I had installed:

At 42,883 Miles, 4 MICHELIN 104T LTX M/S tires
At 42,890 Miles, Monroe Sensa-Trac 71577 struts and Monroe Sensa-Trac 37203 shocks
At 43,225 Miles, COIL SPRING LIFT KIT
At 44,269 Miles, OLD MAN EMU LIFT SPRINGS (1-1/2) and FRT COIL SPRING INSULATORS

My Liberty currently has 57,000 miles on it.

What do I need to do to resolve the bottoming-out problem?
What equipment will I need to buy?
How much (parts + labor) will this cost?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a similar feeling when I had a blown rear shock. I know yours are new, but maybe you got a bad one?

That's one thing I love about the lift on the KJ-- it feels like there's loads of travel so bottoming out isn't normal.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ONE of the reasons I upgraded my suspension only 20,000 miles after buying it new in 04, crappy weak ride.
Should of done it with 10 miles on it.
What you replaced yours with is same as stock so still weal springs etc and until you upgrade will be the same way

gcotterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottoming-out problem in the rear has been fixed by having rear coil-springs, shocks and a damper bar installed. (The coil spring raised the rear end by almost 3 inches). I also had the shop install new front brake pads, rotate the tires and do a wheel alignment.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bottoming-out problem in the rear has been fixed by having rear coil-springs, shocks and a damper bar installed. (The coil spring raised the rear end by almost 3 inches). I also had the shop install new front brake pads, rotate the tires and do a wheel alignment.

Which rear springs and shocks did you end up having installed? What is your total ride height now? (measure from center of wheel hub to bottom of fender flare).

By damper bar... do you mean the rear sway bar? Or are you talking about the upper shock mounts? Any pics of this?