Bottoming out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have a 2006 Liberty with 30,000km on it.

Lately, when driving down the highway I hit normal bumps that the jeep would normally just "float" over and it bangs, HARD, in the back end. The front is fine, but the back sounds like its bottoming out. Is that likely? Anything I can do to check this other than take it to the mechanic?

It has been -40 here lately, but when it started it was only around -20. Thats not horribly cold. So I dunno if the cold would affect it?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bad shock or a broken spring ???? Go and stand on the back bumper and bounce it up and down and see what happens and look underneith.

Dave

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad shock wouldn't be covered by the warranty but a spring would, or pretty much any other suspension part that could go out to cause this. And for the record, as far as I'm concerned -40 is FREAKIN' COLD!!! Also for you trivia buffs, -40 is the only point where the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales match :)

Gont

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its 3/60,000km I think...so a spring should be? I'll have a look tomorrow in the day light and if I cant see anything i guess I have to take it to the dealer and see if its under warranty.

heh, yea, -40 is a lil chilly. I was sayin the -20 wasnt to bad:)

Thanks guy.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
A bad shock wouldn't be covered by the warranty but a spring would, or pretty much any other suspension part that could go out to cause this. And for the record, as far as I'm concerned -40 is FREAKIN' COLD!!! Also for you trivia buffs, -40 is the only point where the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales match :)

As long as there is no wind, -40c isn't to bad, It's a dry cold so you don't really notice it.
I grew up in Alberta and worked outside during the winter...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Gont...I am having the exact same issue. I am now trying to get it fixed at the dealer. So far they replaced the rear control arm.......why I don't know. I am sure its a shock absorber issue. Lift kit anyone.........:D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.