Bosch ICON Wiper Blades chatter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last night I made a midnight run to the doughnut store. Temperature was 25° F., so I had to wait for the glass to defrost. When it was just about ready, I hit the wiper handle and the blades chattered loudly across the windshield. Even after it got real warm in the cabin, those wiper blades made the awfullest noise bouncing across the glass. There was an icy mist in the air, so it's not like I could just not use the wipers.

Amazon.com: Bosch 19A ICON Wiper Blade - 19" (Pack of 1): Automotive

What a waste of 31 bucks. Is there a high quality winter blade made these days? Got any recommendations?

Lancer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally, these are the best wipers I've ever fitted. I live in England and periodically drive around Europe in different weather conditions, and I've never had a wiper that performed better.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have been great for me up to now. It is the below-freezing temperatures that I think they fail at. The rubber compound gets far too stiff for them to make smooth passes across the glass.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've sold/installed ANCO for 30+ years. While not a winter specific blade, "Contour" do an excellent job on my Silverado. If I was in the snow belt I might try their "Winter Extreme". No experience with Bosh.

Bob

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Some of the best wipers I've had have been bosch as well as some of the worst. I gave up on the beam type and went back to the steel framed ones.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When is the last time it rained for you? I found with the bosh if they haven't been wet in a while they chatter. Currently running the rain-x ones. No chatter so far.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My last set of icons lasted 4 years. Then I switched to Tricos because they were on sale and those barely lasted 8 months before squeaking all the time. I'm back to the icons and they're still the best wiper I've ever had. Never had a single issue with them. Sorry that you are having issues

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Wouldn't pizz in the rain with a new slicker on for Rain-X.
Bob
I a firm believer in keeping the glass original, in a clean condition.
As far as Rain X, well, I refuse to use it based on a previous bad experience.
Very difficult to remove once applied, and you take your chances with possible accumulations of airborne particulate matter sticking.
My worst blade chatter, once windshield got hot, was with a Rain X application.
Many like it because the water beads right off at hwy speeds, but it can come with a price.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the Rain-X wiper blades mentioned earlier. The original Rain-X, no real use for it either. But for it to work properly you must NEVER turn the wipers on. Speeds above 30mph and water sheets off the glass. It is great stuff if you're caught in an emergency downpour and wipers won't work. Or my boat, has a windshield, but no wiper

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to standard blades, for some reason even with the B style icons they won't wrap around the passenger side of the window so a bit of the bade sticks out.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was referring to the Rain-X wiper blades mentioned earlier. The original Rain-X, no real use for it either. But for it to work properly you must NEVER turn the wipers on. Speeds above 30mph and water sheets off the glass. It is great stuff if you're caught in an emergency downpour and wipers won't work. Or my boat, has a windshield, but no wiper

Bob

I don't use my wipers when driving 55mph+ no matter the downpour. Water just slides right off :D

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think so. :) The blades were just installed a month or so ago and I've only driven 800 miles - prob'ly less than a hundered using the wipers.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a set of Bosch Icons when they first came out, I worked at the local auto parts store.. sold the CRAP out of those wipers.

Mine lasted 3 cars, over a period of nearly 7 years. It was incredible.. like there was a force field around them and they never wore out. I had to clean them with some alcohol wipes every once in a while.. but they never chattered unless my windshield was filthy.

Try cleaning the blades, as well as making sure the wiper arm tension feels good.

Perhaps you just got a bad set.

ArtO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running this set of Bosch Icons for a year at least. They have chattered from day 1. Every wiper blade Ive ever put on has chattered, depending on conditions.

Members online

No members online now.