Blown Pass Front Door Speaker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

surfRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Jeeper Creepers,
I have a 2006 Rene with the non premium stereo. My front passenger speaker is badly blown and sounds super bassy with lots of rattle. I was going to replace just the two door speakers with some slightly better ones. Like $30 range. My question is, since I am not also replacing the dash tweeters and leaving the factory ones in, what kind of speaker for the door should I get? Full range, or mid/bass only? I want to retain the factory balance. if it is just mids/lows in the door now then thats what I want to stick with.
Thanks!

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is just a one way speaker. there's no tweeter in it so you get mids and lows out of it. You could put a two way in though and it would sound better IMO. You're lucky you don't have the premium system. You can just get new speaks and plug and play. Its very easy to do. I do know that you need a good speaker to get nearly the same bass as the stockers. Many of the new speakers are awful tinny. I'm no expert on current models, but maybe someone that is can chime in. I run mid range alpine components up front and the woofers do not have the same bass response as the stockers.

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Alpine. I have type-R's all around and a 12" sub and it sounds great..But they'll run you more like $200 a pair. Base Alpine spreakers probably start around $60. Check out Rockford Fosgate too, they make decent stuff and their base models may even be a little cheaper than Alpine. Just stay away from the cheap sony speakers they sell at walmart and such, they'll sound like crap. You don't need to go to a custom audio shop, but I would go to somewhere like Best Buy where they have a bunch set up. Listen to them and find something that sounds decent.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like Alpine. I have type-R's all around and a 12" sub and it sounds great..But they'll run you more like $200 a pair. Base Alpine spreakers probably start around $60. Check out Rockford Fosgate too, they make decent stuff and their base models may even be a little cheaper than Alpine. Just stay away from the cheap sony speakers they sell at walmart and such, they'll sound like crap. You don't need to go to a custom audio shop, but I would go to somewhere like Best Buy where they have a bunch set up. Listen to them and find something that sounds decent.

Yes. type Rs is what I have - components up front and 2 way in the rear. They sound good being pushed with a good amp. With just a stock radio or aftermarket, I know they didn't sound as good.

RookieLibertyist

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Weaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Jeeper Creepers,
I have a 2006 Rene with the non premium stereo. My front passenger speaker is badly blown and sounds super bassy with lots of rattle. I was going to replace just the two door speakers with some slightly better ones. Like $30 range. My question is, since I am not also replacing the dash tweeters and leaving the factory ones in, what kind of speaker for the door should I get? Full range, or mid/bass only? I want to retain the factory balance. if it is just mids/lows in the door now then thats what I want to stick with.
Thanks!

Well you might as well replace the tweeters too cause if you get coaxials those tweeters will prolly sound better than the factory ones and if you get components they come with tweeters so no point in not installing them. No offense but for 30 bucks your speaker will sound like a tin can... Id reccomend spending at least 100$ or youll regret it everytime you listen to them. Let me know your budget and if you want components or coaxials (I'd reccomend components) and Ill look around for the best bang for your buck. I love speaker shopping.

Weaver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did a little poking around anyways aha I was bored at work, but for your budget Id reccomend Polk Audio DB651. You can get them for around 50-60 $ on amazon, they are coaxials so you can just plug them into the existing wiring n they dont need to be ampd, the stock speakers might have a little more bass but these will sound better for sure. They are also marine rated so if you take on some water you dont have to worry about them getting wrecked.

PS, Id reccomend staying away from alpine, they make a good enough product but they are quite overpriced, there are a lot more affordable options out there that perform as good if not better for much less.