blown engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( Heading to work today and my engine blew 195k miles sad times, towed it to my friends shop won't know how much till monday or tues the cost it's gona hurt me lol, just wondering if you guys could hook me up with a good place to get a motor, besides a crate motor.:freak3: it :smokin: time

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TRY ME

You can try contacting these guys. I have no experience buying engines, but it came up in a search. Depending on what it is wrong with your Jeep, it might be cheaper and easier to fix your engine, unless it was hydro-locked or something equally catastrophic.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Pulling the valve covers to inspect initially is a good place to start. Rather than spending a bunch of time and energy on a high mileage motor, a same year rebuild build in my opinion is the way to go. The shipping costs for a motor can be kinda pricey and a real headache if it is not built right/have to take it out again and send back. In my sedan when I needed another engine, I found a good local engine builder that had a replacement with warranty in stock. I got 3 quotes including dealer, my decision was based on who had best reputation/experience not so much price. Even with a long block, I had the intake cleaned,new waterpump & all bolt on accessories replaced as well to bring it to all new standings.
Look in your yellow pages "auto engines" and get some quotes, and consider the local warranty very important in the replacement procedure.

Budviper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys, Its an 02 limited and we got it turned over yesterday evening and it sounded like the rods were coming thru the block, also water in my oil, i am looking around the area today for engine builders or re manufactured one, with a 3 yr 100k warranty, i am debating on keeping it now too :(, I kinda want to put it in the back yard and work on it, but that means buying a new vehicle and i just don't want the payments again, lol Oh well i'll figure it out! until then it's the weekend and time to have a drink !! thanks for listening

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
It's typically cheaper to fix than buying a new/used car. Especially if you still like the KJ. That was my logic, anyway.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a new ride
Not sure on motor cost but for argument sake
if a new motor sets you back $3k and you need
a new trans next month at $2k that is $5k on
a new or newer ride
a low milage wrangler can be had for $20k

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would get a new ride
Not sure on motor cost but for argument sake
if a new motor sets you back $3k and you need
a new trans next month at $2k that is $5k on
a new or newer ride
a low milage wrangler can be had for $20k

Ummm...$5K is still less than $20K - at least the way we do math around here. :smokin:

Bob

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm...$5K is still less than $20K - at least the way we do math around here. :smokin:

Bob

Yeah and 200k miles is way more than 20k miles
And fact is any thing with 200k miles will have a
much higher mait. cost then any thing with 20k
in the end it is like **** polish
you can keep shining it up but it will still be a ****
Got to remember that the motor is not the only moving
part and thus is not the only thing with 200k miles on it

But then again I only keep my work trucks past 100k miles
I know that at that point any vehicle is done and I don't
want my wife and kids stranded because I was to cheep
to buy a new car
Kind of stupid

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
mine has 166,000 and if the motor went tomorrow there would be no thought at all as to what i would do,
replace the motor, simple logic
But then I have had it since 100 miles was on the odo, know how its been taken care of etc. Haven't had a vehicle payment in 6 years why would I want to trade it in and get nothing at all for it and start over
I used to be the one who traded every two years but vehicles were way cheaper then

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
mine has 166,000 and if the motor went tomorrow there would be no thought at all as to what i would do,
replace the motor, simple logic
But then I have had it since 100 miles was on the odo, know how its been taken care of etc. Haven't had a vehicle payment in 6 years why would I want to trade it in and get nothing at all for it and start over
I used to be the one who traded every two years but vehicles were way cheaper then

Replace it with a v8

sent using the dark side of the force

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah and 200k miles is way more than 20k miles
And fact is any thing with 200k miles will have a
much higher mait. cost then any thing with 20k
in the end it is like **** polish
you can keep shining it up but it will still be a ****
Got to remember that the motor is not the only moving
part and thus is not the only thing with 200k miles on it

But then again I only keep my work trucks past 100k miles
I know that at that point any vehicle is done and I don't
want my wife and kids stranded because I was to cheep
to buy a new car
Kind of stupid

I know plenty people with 200k miles and up and theyre vehicles will last a whole lot longer...and the way the market is wranglers are overpriced..you got 20 grand laying around throw a motor swap into tue liberty ideally a diesel....id rather drive a diesel powered "****" than a brand new minivan powered wrangler.....whatever happened to when it breaks upgrade?

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
I know plenty people with 200k miles and up and theyre vehicles will last a whole lot longer...and the way the market is wranglers are overpriced..you got 20 grand laying around throw a motor swap into tue liberty ideally a diesel....id rather drive a diesel powered "****" than a brand new minivan powered wrangler.....whatever happened to when it breaks upgrade?

Do we really have to start the mini van thing again? For christ sakes its not a bad engine. And just for the record you could pop a vvt hemi in a jk for under 20k. Pretty sure you could go 4bt or other cummins for around 10. Or supercharge it for 6k. Wranglers are over priced until you look at resale.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do we really have to start the mini van thing again? For christ sakes its not a bad engine. And just for the record you could pop a vvt hemi in a jk for under 20k. Pretty sure you could go 4bt or other cummins for around 10. Or supercharge it for 6k. Wranglers are over priced until you look at resale.

But 1st you got to buy a JK.

It's more like $22k+ for a VVT swap into a JK and $10k for the 4bt is before the engine and trans and then your JK is no longer legal to drive on public roads by federal regs.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So your suggestion is to spend 20000 on a jk, then a minimum of 6 grand on the motor for a supercharger or upwards of 20 grand on a hemi swap inatead of keeping the liberty?
Im pretty sure for between 26000 and 40000 you could do a lot more with the liberty including some preventative maintenance...or you could go into debt for 3 to 6 years to get a jk that is bone stock

mmc757

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes its easier to get a loan for $30k than it is to find $3K for a repair.

100k miles is nothing anymore on pretty much any vehicle.

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
But 1st you got to buy a JK.

It's more like $22k+ for a VVT swap into a JK and $10k for the 4bt is before the engine and trans and then your JK is no longer legal to drive on public roads by federal regs.

True but you know the engine swap prices have significantly dropped. That burnsville ********* overcharges and for the engine and the swap its 20k.
As many people who have done engine swaps how could it not be street legal? There's a guy who dd's his 4bt tj's here in indy

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sometimes its easier to get a loan for $30k than it is to find $3K for a repair.

That kind of thinking is EXACTLY what is wrong with the modern economy, and your statement is simply not true.

Coming up with $3K is ALWAYS easier than coming up with $30K. If you are careful with your finances, you should be able to spare $3K from somewhere, at least temporarily. If you can't, you can still ask your bank if you can borrow against the value of your Jeep. Even if the interest rate is higher, the monthly payments are far more manageable at fraction of what you might have borrowed for a new vehicle. Don't forget a new vehicle usually requires some kind of down-payment, which will eat into that $3K you were trying to avoid spending. If your credit is good, the interest rate on a $3K secured bank loan will be the same or LESS as a new car loan.

Finally, if a bank loan isn't an option either, charging the balance to a credit card is another cheap way to get the money quickly and pay it off on your own schedule.

It should be noted that having an emergency fund for those "oh, shit" moments is always a good idea, and if your credit cards are already maxed out, good luck getting (and paying off) that $30K new car loan.

Last edited:

MSReNeGaDe

Banned
Reaction score
That kind of thinking is EXACTLY what is wrong with the modern economy, and your statement is simply not true.

Coming up with $3K is ALWAYS easier than coming up with $30K. If you are careful with your finances, you should be able to spare $3K from somewhere, at least temporarily. If you can't, you can still ask your bank if you can borrow against the value of your Jeep. Even if the interest rate is higher, the monthly payments are far more manageable at fraction of what you might have borrowed for a new vehicle. Don't forget a new vehicle usually requires some kind of down-payment, which will eat into that $3K you were trying to avoid spending. If your credit is good, the interest rate on a $3K secured bank loan will be the same or LESS as a new car loan.

Finally, if a bank loan isn't an option either, charging the balance to a credit card is another cheap way to get the money quickly and pay it off on your own schedule.

It should be noted that having an emergency fund for those "oh, shit" moments is always a good idea, and if your credit cards are already maxed out, good luck getting (and paying off) that $30K new car loan.

Very true.