Blower Fan Switch Acting Funny...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Greetings Sports Fans-

Didn't realize how long it's been since I've posted. My blower motor fan switch is acting funky. In all blower modes, the motor remains off when the fan switch is on 1, 2, or 3. The motor only activates when the switch is in the 4 position and runs at its highest power. Just noticed this today, seems to have been fine otherwise. Wondering what could be causing this, could it be related to the blower motor fuse that was under recall? I had the recall performed a little over a year ago.

I am about to go outside and take the dash apart to tinker around, but any ideas on what to try to fix it would be helpful! And before anyone says take it to a dealer, I am under extended warranty now probably with a deductible, so I think I might just fix it myself if I can.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm outside Atlanta, in the Druid Hills area. Inside the perimiter :)

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Greetings Sports Fans-

Didn't realize how long it's been since I've posted. My blower motor fan switch is acting funky. In all blower modes, the motor remains off when the fan switch is on 1, 2, or 3. The motor only activates when the switch is in the 4 position and runs at its highest power. Just noticed this today, seems to have been fine otherwise. Wondering what could be causing this, could it be related to the blower motor fuse that was under recall? I had the recall performed a little over a year ago.

I am about to go outside and take the dash apart to tinker around, but any ideas on what to try to fix it would be helpful! And before anyone says take it to a dealer, I am under extended warranty now probably with a deductible, so I think I might just fix it myself if I can.
Probably the blower motor resistor behind the glove box.
In How to section:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26012

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that looks like the problem. Took apart the climate control housing and rebuilt, all the switches are working so looks like I need to take a trip to a dealer. Thanks for the link!

Rob

Reaction score
blower motor resistor. easy fix, about $20 and takes 10 minutes

bjs2063

Reaction score
don't take this one to the dealer unless its still under warranty and no deductible is required, should be very easy DIY fix. Seems to be common problem with many vehicles not just KJ's. I've replaced one in a Ford and in a Pontiac I own.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is no surprise. Chrysler dealers are mostly crooks, i thought you would know it by now.
The dealer here said "blower motor must have been gone, $320 including labor". No wonder the dealer went on the chopping block.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Resistor, located behind glove box. Instructions with pics on this site somewhere. 10 minute job. Cost me 32.00 in Calgary.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok i'll have to go talk to them again.

Don't talk to them. Buy this, and follow the instructions. It is really easy.
You must be registered for see images

trophyslayer

Banned
Reaction score
mine did the same last year, I lived in albany ga at the time, got the part from napa autoparts, took about 15mins, to open the glove box and unscrew the resister and install the new one, just make sure to disconnect the battery first