Blower Control Resistor Block failure rate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I was at the dealer buying the OEM rear wiper, I also bought the Blower Control Resistor Block.

Parts guy tells me this part fails very often in Liberty's and also in Cherokees.

According to his computer the resistor block is ordered at a rate of 1,100 per month nationwide. One thousand one hundred pieces per month.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^Mine is original too.

Yea, but he is saying NATIONWIDE don't forget. There are a lot of KJ's and XJ's out there.

That said, I replaced the one in the Cutlass I have but it has a lot of miles on it. Not sure but I think it croaked at around 140,000 miles or so. It was a real PIA to get at . The one on the KJ is more acessable I think.

Dave

Vtolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That controls fans speeds correct. I had a blower motor resistor go in my Impala and I only had 1 fan speed. Now I have noticed that on 1 and 2 in My 03 Liberty I get no fan. How easy is the part to replace and where is it located exactly?

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to change the thing tonight. Wasn't too bad to do except that it is VERY cold here.

Worst part is getting that lower screw out..... hafta use a swivle-knuckle on the 1/4" drive. As the screw backs out it makes the knuckle hit, so had to use my finger tips (yeah it is COLD out) which was awkward.

Then the black "tang" did not release after I pulled that red piece out. The black piece snapped off. Then I noticed on the backside that a tiny flat blade screw driver could release the black tang. Anyway the new one did "click" when inserted onto the harness. And the lower screw was a pain getting back in. Not terrible, just awkward.

Now at least DW has all 4 fan speeds now instead of just #4.

hbogan

Reaction score
Is funny that this is my actual first post, but I intend to become a regular here.... My 04 has this same problem. 1 and 2 speed doesnt work so its no less than 3 if you wanna stay warm. Im glad its not that huge of a problem.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Finally got around to change the thing tonight. Wasn't too bad to do except that it is VERY cold here.

Worst part is getting that lower screw out..... hafta use a swivle-knuckle on the 1/4" drive. As the screw backs out it makes the knuckle hit, so had to use my finger tips (yeah it is COLD out) which was awkward.

Then the black "tang" did not release after I pulled that red piece out. The black piece snapped off. Then I noticed on the backside that a tiny flat blade screw driver could release the black tang. Anyway the new one did "click" when inserted onto the harness. And the lower screw was a pain getting back in. Not terrible, just awkward.

Now at least DW has all 4 fan speeds now instead of just #4.

Yup, that lower screw was a pain in the ass for me as well!

OldBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only #4 fan speed. Happened today in 95 degree heat. Sounds like the same problem to me. I haven't even looked at the resistor block yet, but does anyone have a picture of what I need to replace?

NEVER MIND!! I found the info in another link!

Last edited:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me, using a resistor to control motor speed is both inefficient and primitive. They should use a decent motor.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, this problem isn't inherent to KJ's, lots of vehicles have this problem. Most of the newer GM vehicles have the same problem. Malibus and Grand Prixs certainly do.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, this problem isn't inherent to KJ's, lots of vehicles have this problem. Most of the newer GM vehicles have the same problem. Malibus and Grand Prixs certainly do.

Yup. Mine blew on the Cutlass last year and I changed it and I was sore for 3 days as it was a real biattch to get at. But to be fair I think it had about 135,000+ miles on it last year when I did it. Havn't had a problem with the one in the KJ ....yet.....

Dave

Latest posts

Members online