Blew a speaker, now what?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. Remove the whole door panel to access the speakers. FWIW the silicone fixed mine permanently. I never had another problem with.

Thanks for the response. I decided to go ahead and try to replace my speakers. Thought new speakers might sound better.

As I posted here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39415

"...I pulled the door panels, pulled the speakers, unbolted the speakers from their crossover/amp thingies.

I drilled a couple of mounting holes and affixed the crossovers to the inside of each door, just a half inch below each speaker opening with nuts and bolts. I made jumper wires with crimp-on blade connectors to run from the crossovers to the speakers.

Used Pioneer 3-way speakers from BestBuy, about $60 for the pair. They were a little smaller than the hole from the old speakers, so I mounted them low in the opening and caught 3 sides, seems solid, time will tell if I need to do more. It isn't like the stock system pumps out megawatts.

Anyhow, they sound GREAT!!! I guess the old speakers had been gradually deteriorating over time, and I just hadn't noticed. These sound so nice and crisp and clear."

----

Since writing the above, I went for a longer drive to run some errands, and holy crap I can't believe how good the stereo sounds now! Very worth the sixty bucks and some of my time. I would say forget repairing the old ones and spend $50-60 on a pair of new speakers and put them in. I was shocked at the difference they made.