Black Rock Type 8 997

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apex

Reaction score
I actually think I got it, well mostly. I had been to JBA's site the other night, and I just revisited earlier after looking at another guy's build on here. I was thinking the Bilstein heavy duty struts and 2.5" shocks, JBA rear 2.5" springs, and Ironman front springs. I can Wesway to 2.5" in the front for my 245/75s, but are there any contradictions to my choices or anything else I need other than front bumpstops and extra isolators for leveling? Can I just get the stiffest OME front springs and not have to worry about shimming? What about replacement of any bushings, bearings, or ball joints? I did just replace the lower ball joints after I got my recall notice, but I had to fork out the money and fix it myself after my local dealership told me they had the parts on backorder for a month. I needed to pass inspection a week from that time last year (a regular dilemma) so it had to be done.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually think I got it, well mostly. I had been to JBA's site the other night, and I just revisited earlier after looking at another guy's build on here. I was thinking the Bilstein heavy duty struts and 2.5" shocks, JBA rear 2.5" springs, and Ironman front springs. I can Wesway to 2.5" in the front for my 245/75s, but are there any contradictions to my choices or anything else I need other than front bumpstops and extra isolators for leveling? Can I just get the stiffest OME front springs and not have to worry about shimming? What about replacement of any bushings, bearings, or ball joints? I did just replace the lower ball joints after I got my recall notice, but I had to fork out the money and fix it myself after my local dealership told me they had the parts on backorder for a month. I needed to pass inspection a week from that time last year (a regular dilemma) so it had to be done.

First forget the word wesway, its just the way we've always added more height.
Second if using Ironman front springs then you'll already be over 2 inches of lift so depending on how much lift you want then you can add to that. You do not want the " stiffest " OME springs without a aftermarket steel bumper and winch or a CRD. OME 927s will give you about 2.5 - 2.75 inches of lift
If you have worn out items by all means replace them if not then you're good to go

Apex

Reaction score
I trust what you're saying, I'm just confused that both the OME and Ironman kits are advertised at 1.5" lift. The OME 927s were what I was referring to, didn't even consider the 790s an option.

KJ Ironman 1.5" spring lift kit - Lift Kits, Jeep Liberty - Liberty 2002-2007 (KJ)

^^^So this kit is really 2+ inches of lift? You seemed to like its driveability, if I can throw 245/75s under it I'm sold. 4" backspacing on new wheels will help.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I trust what you're saying, I'm just confused that both the OME and Ironman kits are advertised at 1.5" lift. The OME 927s were what I was referring to, didn't even consider the 790s an option.

KJ Ironman 1.5" spring lift kit - Lift Kits, Jeep Liberty - Liberty 2002-2007 (KJ)

^^^So this kit is really 2+ inches of lift? You seemed to like its driveability, if I can throw 245/75s under it I'm sold. 4" backspacing on new wheels will help.

Both OME and Ironman are made in Australia , over there they have lift height restrictions and basically go by advertised lift heights, so they advertise them at 1.5 inches even though in real life you get over an inch more

Apex

Reaction score
Works for me, and thanks for all the great info. The people with the most experience aren't as forthcoming as you've been, so I definitely appreciate it. Ironman springs coming soon. Then real tires....lol.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Works for me, and thanks for all the great info. The people with the most experience aren't as forthcoming as you've been, so I definitely appreciate it. Ironman springs coming soon. Then real tires....lol.
Someone has more experience than I do lifting KJs :jawdrop::icon_eek::Frustrated::mfr_omg::rotflmao::rotflmao:

well beside TJKJ:hidesbehindsofa:

Last edited:

Apex

Reaction score
Maybe so, but I don't see anyone else walking me through some fairly complicated stuff, haha. One more question though, I only need front bump stops with the 2.5" lift right?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe so, but I don't see anyone else walking me through some fairly complicated stuff, haha. One more question though, I only need front bump stops with the 2.5" lift right?

Well since I don't know much
I'll try and answer
you need front and rear both

Apex

Reaction score
Hey hey now, don't sell yourself short. On a side note, got a set of 5 235/70s for $180 with plenty of tread left. Now if I can just get in touch with my uncle. I need to invest in a car lift and tire machine some day lol