Birds chirping sound??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...I may be drunk most of the time, but I have a witness to this one:

There is a strange new noise coming from the front of the KJ. The best way to describe it is as "birds chirping". It does this only when pressing on the gas and moving. The noise increases in tempo as the speed of the engine and vehicle increase.

No sound when revving engine in N, D, or P...only while under load while moving. If I let it coast its quiet, but while under power it sounds horrible. I'm not too familiar with suspensions, drivetrains, etc...but could this be CV joints, front axle??

Any ideas?

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, any bearing that's turning in the driveline could be causing this.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Sure its in the front?
Rear u joints sound about that way
or maybe CVs
or idler pulley

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Basically, any bearing that's turning in the driveline could be causing this.

I'm just wondering how in the world to narrow it down to a specific part since the vehicle needs to be running and moving. I can always have the wife hang on underneath while driving...plenty of ground clearance. :eek:

But seriously...I gotta fix this thing. It's driving me nuts and is quite embarrassing. Wish me luck!

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure its in the front?
Rear u joints sound about that way
or maybe CVs
or idler pulley

I should check the idler pulley too...I did remove it to do the water pump...maybe I scewed something up?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it only makes the noise while the jeep is moving then its no the idler pulley. Always a good thing to check anyway since they are so cheaply made. Mines started to go bad at 50k. Im going to wait till it locks up and leaves me stranded on the side of the road before I replace it though.... Just to add some excitement to my week.

Check the passenger side cv joint where it slides onto the intermediate shaft along with the rear u joints. Also check the front drive shaft.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Easy way to check rear u joints, drive 10 miles, crawl under and grab the ujoint, if you let go real quick and your hand is burnt , then its the ujoints:D
My bet
either rear ujoints
front drivers side CV/intermediate shaft
front drive shaft rear boot missing and bearings gone