Biodiesel on a 2.8 crd KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe not the correct forum, but anyone who knows wheter my 2003 KJ with 2.8 crd can run or be modified to accept biodiesel?

CRD4Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check with DC in your area, but here in the US we are only allowed 5% biodiesl because although they have specs for 20% they haven't implemented them very well. DC is waiting for some consistency in the product before they will authorize it.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was an episode of "Trucks", were they showed how to make your own bio-diesel using in large part waste cooking oil. He then ran it through his diesel Ram and it worked fine! He even said it ran better. Pretty cool!

Here is a web site to see on making bio-diesel...
http://www.freedomfuelamerica.com/

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did it on Mythbusters too. The vehicle ran fine, and they said the exhaust smelled like french fries...

SnowgodCCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like everyone else said, no modification are nessicary, it will run just fine. You could even make your own and be totally free of gas prices-just find a chineese place near you and ask them for their used cooking oil.

cowpie1

Reaction score
The only problem with making your own is quality. You have to be very meticulous about the process. Not filtering properly or getting out all the glycerin that is generated in the process will cause problems.

There are quite a few companies that offer "kits" or components for the do it yourselfer.

The CRD will run quite well on a mix of Bio and Petro diesel. Some have used 100% bio with good results.

Here is the caveat. DC has turned down warranty claims in my area on diesels that are running more than 5%. That is why most retail pumps in my area do not have more than 5% available. The quality control is why DC is holding off on the ok to higher percentages. It is up to you on how much risk tolerance you have. I have run 10% for some time and am comfortable with it.

2006CanuckCRD

Reaction score
Beware of higher concentrations levels in cold climates.
The viscosity factor for Dino diesel vs. Bio diesel is much different.
The Biodeisel gels in colder climates...

The mythbusters was not bio diesel, it was waste vegatable oil.. Hence the french fry smell. If your climate is warm enough you can just filter WVO and run it that way... No need for the nasty chemiacals used with biodiesel generation...

Best is to use a mix though.

dnm45227

Reaction score
2006CanuckCRD said:
The Biodeisel gels in colder climates...

The mythbusters was not bio diesel, it was waste vegatable oil.. Hence the french fry smell. If your climate is warm enough you can just filter WVO and run it that way... No need for the nasty chemiacals used with biodiesel generation...

Best is to use a mix though.

i'm pretty sure that there would be a pH/corrosion issue if you didn't titrate it. not to say it wouldn't run, just not for as long as it should.

2006CanuckCRD

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong.. I would never do it.

But there are many a people running WVO....

I don't think it the way to treat this diesel engine, but...
With poor biodesiel there can also be leftovers from the conversion process that wil make the PH problems in VVO seem like nothing.

dnm45227

Reaction score
i think it's way cool that we even have the option, i would never do it either.

kinda makes you wonder why diesel is so much higher than gasoline. i mean wtf, it's by product of the refining process (almost waste) you'd think they would give the stuff away.

2006CanuckCRD

Reaction score
Well, actually it has little to do with refinement..
It's a product of supply and demand..

With all them big rigs on the road the demand is HUGE... they get what 5 MPG on a good day ?

I used to think it should be cheaper 'cause it's easier to make...
A trucker straightened that up for me.

One day I will refine my own from WVO... go for lunch grab a veal sandwich and a gallon of WVO.. set for the day :)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
2006CanuckCRD said:
Well, actually it has little to do with refinement..
It's a product of supply and demand..

With all them big rigs on the road the demand is HUGE... they get what 5 MPG on a good day ?

I used to think it should be cheaper 'cause it's easier to make...
A trucker straightened that up for me.

One day I will refine my own from WVO... go for lunch grab a veal sandwich and a gallon of WVO.. set for the day :)
That sounds about right. A while back in HS, I took a trip on a chartered bus. I asked the driver what kind of mileage the bus got... he told me only about 6MPG. My jaw dropped.

Fjellfinn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006CanuckCRD said:
The Biodeisel gels in colder climates...Best is to use a mix though.

Thats my biggest concern :-(

At the moment we have minus 17 Celsius outside, and the weather forecast says it will be so cold the rest of February ...