****** binding on 04 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife's been complaining about the (auto) transmission shifting real rough on occasion with her Liberty, I've noticed a hard shift once in awhile when driving it cold, but once a few km's are on it it's fine.

This morning though, she was reversing out of the driveway when she said it just stopped and would not move, by the time I got out there after she called me it had cleared up and she could move. However I could see where the wheels stopped as we have a fresh layer of gravel on and it's still fairly loose on top. She said it did it twice, then she was able to move, but it felt like it was binding.

I backed it out of the driveway, turned it around and went back & forth a couple of times and it seemed fine. Our's has the "part time" option (I think it was an option anyway) when putting it in to 4wd, but we seldom use it. I did a quick search and saw where someone mentioned if tire tread among all 4 wheels is not uniform these trannies will sometimes bind, but I would think that would only be in 4wd.

Any idea's on what could cause this, or anything I should look for?

thanks

rennocneb

Reaction score
which ****** do you have? i know my CRD was doing the whole wouldnt move until it idled for about 20 seconds then when going from reverse to forward would kill it at times. Changing both filters and fluid cured it. I guess the 545rfe has a bad drainback issue. the 4 speeds in the gassers might be similar?

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
which ****** do you have? i know my CRD was doing the whole wouldnt move until it idled for about 20 seconds then when going from reverse to forward would kill it at times. Changing both filters and fluid cured it. I guess the 545rfe has a bad drainback issue. the 4 speeds in the gassers might be similar?

Thanks for the reply,

I'm not sure which ****** it has, but when it's in 4H it reads "Part Time" in the dash, which I think was only in the more deluxe models - but in any case that would be the TC not the ******, correct?

Our KJ is a lease return and has the Renegade trim I think (if that has any bearing what ****** may be in it)

It's probably due for a fluid/filter change anyway - is this a pretty easy DIY job on these?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the transmission, you should try dropping the transmission oil pan and draining the transmission fluid and then replace both the flat filter and the other filter that looks like a regular motor oil filter and see if that works.

rennocneb

Reaction score
its not to difficult to do yourself. locally i know i can get it done for around a 100 bucks but it scares me not knowing what filters they used, and are they using true ATF+4 or something compatiable which i hear is not a good thing. the filter that looks like a motor oil filter has a drainback prevention valve in it on the 545rfe anyway id say its the same on the others. This caused me issues back when the weather was cold on my CRD. If it turns out to be the drainback issue someone on here or lost jeeps had a writeup about putting a check valve inline with the cooler lines i beleive to cure it.

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks - I'll take a look at dropping the pan this weekend. On my F250 I dropped the pan & changed the filter the 1st time I changed the ATF, but after that when I change the ATF I just disconnect the return line from the ******, put a clear tube on it and cycle the ATF into a container by going through the gears then pouring new ATF in, when I see new fluid coming out the tube its done. Very fast, takes less time than changing the engine oil.

I'm wondering if the same thing is possible on the KJ for future oil changes when dropping the pan isn't necessary.

Also curious which of the two filters I need from this page - there seems to be a couple of different flat filters for the ******..

Last edited: