Bike Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thekjwith9lives

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got into mountain biking pretty seriously, and i was wondering if anybody has made or has ideas on a homemade spare tire bike rack?Im a DIY person and like building things and would rather build one than to spend 100 bucks on one,but i would spend it if things dont work out:mad:

KJedmonton

Reaction score
I just got into mountain biking pretty seriously, and i was wondering if anybody has made or has ideas on a homemade spare tire bike rack?Im a DIY person and like building things and would rather build one than to spend 100 bucks on one,but i would spend it if things dont work out:mad:

I use this one Just because it can carry 60LBS a bike (mine alone is around 50), and it does not make contact with the Jeep in anyway. I toyed with the idea of making my own but could not come up with a good design...
I figured if you spend thousands on a bike a few hundred on a rack is more than worth it!!!

thekjwith9lives

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few homemade ones that have a rachet strap going around the wheel and prongs that come out and somehow hold the bike on.I was looking something like that.Im just starting out but looking forward to getting a better bike.All i got now is a low end Haro.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
I've seen a few homemade ones that have a rachet strap going around the wheel and prongs that come out and somehow hold the bike on.I was looking something like that.Im just starting out but looking forward to getting a better bike.All i got now is a low end Haro.

Have to see how it works out for you, the only problem i see with the bike on the spare tire is the weight limit of the rear gate. Im still kind of new to biking as well, the only reason I have the BIKE I do is because a friend was selling his for to low of a price to pass up on...

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have to see how it works out for you, the only problem i see with the bike on the spare tire is the weight limit of the rear gate. Im still kind of new to biking as well, the only reason I have the BIKE I do is because a friend was selling his for to low of a price to pass up on...

That's a sick bike man! nice!

kjweston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you, I just hope I can be good enough to used it to its potential one day... :) It only costed me an Enduro Expert and $500!!!

ha nice bikes these days are damn expensive. I ride maybe once a year when If go to New Hampshire. Very fun! But I live in South Florida and the sport just doesn't exist..

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a thule spare me rack, got it on sale brand new for like 80 bucks, couldnt pass it up. I had roof racks and hitch racks, just dont like them on SUV's. Since you have a downhill bike you will more than likely need to get a hitch mount with a tray style rack, because of weight.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC

I almost bought one of these. The quality is pretty good and I know I couldn't make one of these for $35.99.
But you do need to have a 2 inch receiver hitch to mount it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98019

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
^^^I have a Bell 4 bike version of that one. Can't use it on the KJ because of the spare, but works fine on anything else.

thekjwith9lives

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan09, do you think that bike rack will clear the spare tire including the bike?I got a 2 inch hitch on my KJ and theres a Harbor Frieght right by my house!Id but one for 35.99

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I paided about $100-$200 for our Bell bike rack 3-4 years ago from Wal Mart...

Awww KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at picking up a 2-bike rack that sits on the spare. (07 KJ 4x4)

Has anyone bent their tailgate yet? :lol: I'm thinking this is a good option until I mount a receiver hitch.

jeepzilla

Reaction score
hey 9lives, welcome to the world of mt. biking it's amazing where these things can take ya.. Your best bet is a hitch mount of some sort.. Being a downhill bike you'd be amazed at how close to 50 pounds your bike is.. If I was a betting man, I bet if you did a web search for your bike on how much it weights it'd probably 38 pounds give or take 5 pounds... For reference a pro's cross country race bike weights in around 20 pounds.. The lightest mountain bike I have ever heard about was 17 pounds... regardless of weight that's one sweet ride, when spring hits take it to a ski mt. that allows mt. biking an enjoy the ride..

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost bought one of these. The quality is pretty good and I know I couldn't make one of these for $35.99.
But you do need to have a 2 inch receiver hitch to mount it.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=98019

I just bought the same one at harbor freight today. It was on sale for $29.99 and I had a 20% off coupon that brought it down to $24. I had just bought nearly the identical one (a Bell) from WalMart for $89.99. I'm glad I hadn't mounted it (its winter here), so I returned it. The quality is nearly identical. It even pivots so that you can open the tailgate. I will have to buy or make an extension before spring arrives.
Bruce

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I just bought the same one at harbor freight today. It was on sale for $29.99 and I had a 20% off coupon that brought it down to $24. I had just bought nearly the identical one (a Bell) from WalMart for $89.99. I'm glad I hadn't mounted it (its winter here), so I returned it. The quality is nearly identical. It even pivots so that you can open the tailgate. I will have to buy or make an extension before spring arrives.
Bruce

Good stuff Bruce!

Latest posts

Members online