Better Gas Miliage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have cylinder #5 misfire code, however no check engine light.

Im getting 15.2L/100KM on average, 50% city, 50% hwy towing a 1000LB trailer.

Would the misfire code cause the poor fuel miliage? i dont feel it mis-firing.

Akedos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I imagine you have a misfiring cylinder... and that is probably causing poor mileage. Running on 5 cylinders and towing probably isn't healthy. You may not "feel" it but the code is there anyway, something isn't right in the cylinder.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the MIL is not on and you have a code it is not a active code and the issue that caused the code is not present any longer.Granted the MIL LED could be not working either,does the MIL turn on when you 1st start it and then go out?

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the MIL is not on and you have a code it is not a active code and the issue that caused the code is not present any longer.Granted the MIL LED could be not working either,does the MIL turn on when you 1st start it and then go out?

Hey.

I think its an inactive code, but when I try and clear it with my code reader, it does not clear it at all.

When I turn the key....prior to starting the engine the check engine light does light up...so its not a bulb issue.

Background: Bought the jeep 2 weeks ago from a GM / CADDY dealer, the check engine light was on...when I picked it up, it was fixed by a Local Chrysler dealership.

On my way home (they put new tires on too) the tire pressure monitor light was on - i thought it was a coolant light...so i scanned for codes only to find two codes in ref. to cylinder #5.

Its a '06 Limited 3.7V-6 with 135k....the first tank of gas I got 15.2L/100Kms. The tires are Pirelli Scorpion 235 wide.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
What vehicle did you have prior to the KJ? .. and do you drive them the same .. ie What kind of rpm's are you hitting starting from a dead stop? It would not be difficult for me to get that kind of mileage without driving conservatively.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie got this. Way better gas mileage and still got a sweet Jeep.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1342641816170.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1342641816170.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 21

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What vehicle did you have prior to the KJ? .. and do you drive them the same .. ie What kind of rpm's are you hitting starting from a dead stop? It would not be difficult for me to get that kind of mileage without driving conservatively.

98 GMC JIMMY...she used to get 13.5L/100KMS city/hwy...and she had 295K on her.

04 Saturn Vue with Honda V-6...she used to get 13L/100KM

I was VERY aware that I wouldn't be getting astronomical MPG, but I want to insure that my cylinder misfire code is a dormant code?

From my jimmy I have learnt that I need to easy into the thorttle and coast a lot, which I what I do...im 25..but I try my best to drive like a grandpa..I have SS. motorcycles for when I want to go fast.

First tank of gas I got almost 410Kms for 52-55L....which works out to be Mileage: 18.09 MPG (or) 13 L/100km but the console says 15.5!!

Last edited:

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you filled up when the low fuel light came on, it is very conservative, You should still have about 20 liters left when that light comes on so the range would go up another 100 to 120 km and still have about 7 liters left. Where you live in Brampton would also have an effect as that area is a zoo for traffic, trucks, trucks, and more trucks, also the area is growing and has the dubious distiction of having added the most stop lights in a small area, Airport Road, so you would be driving on the first 3 gears most of the time.

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet you filled up when the low fuel light came on, it is very conservative, You should still have about 20 liters left when that light comes on so the range would go up another 100 to 120 km and still have about 7 liters left. Where you live in Brampton would also have an effect as that area is a zoo for traffic, trucks, trucks, and more trucks, also the area is growing and has the dubious distiction of having added the most stop lights in a small area, Airport Road, so you would be driving on the first 3 gears most of the time.

WOw! i didn't know 20 L left when the light comes on.

These jeeps have a 75 L tank? So when the fuel light comes on I've used about 55L?

That's not bad at all then....17.11 MPG 13.75 L/100km....TOWING with the AC on. That's pretty impressive.

Why does the EVIC / over head unit say 15.2L/100KM then??!

Doublecardan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOw! i didn't know 20 L left when the light comes on.

These jeeps have a 75 L tank? So when the fuel light comes on I've used about 55L?
Thats about right, I drove a while when I first got mine and when that light came on, i would go and get filled up and it never would go above 58 liters, so the only conclusion would be that the fuel light is very conservative, I had a caddy deville and its light would come on at 15 liters left, so the jeep has that beat. I once took a full five gallon tank along in the back and drove over 100km with the low light on, I did not need the spare gas but when my nerve gave out, i fueled up and was able to put 66 liters in. I believe that you can turn of the low fuel light but I never got around to doing it. You will however notice a dramatic dropoff in economy when winter comes a calling. That of course will be offset by the ability of the vehicle to traverse those brampton subdivisons. By the way what transfer case do you have? selectrac which has two high range settings and command trac which has the high range only and both have the low range.

motherto2

Reaction score
I just drove my son's 06 Liberty back and forth to work the last 2 weeks to see how the gas mileage worked (I just bought it). I filled the tank up when it had about an 1/8 showing on the fuel gauge. I put 15.587 gallons in it and it overflowed a little (that's my next question). I had driven 295.5 miles, which includes hills and stop lights, etc. Plus a/c every where I went. I was pretty impressed.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
That's prettty good fuel economy, motherto2. ThunderbirdJunkie generally gets less than 200 miles per tank, but there's a lot of stop-and-go rush hour traffic - er,idling - involved in his commute.

frekeyguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my question is.....these two codes are coming up if I plug my scanner in. If i try and delete these codes, they wont' go away.

How do I insure that these are dormant codes?

The check engine light DOES NOT COME ON, yes the bulb works.