Better Gas Milage???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Re: I'm trying it

Troysterr said:
Geez, aren't you the same people that bucked the "real Jeeps don't have IFS" trend and bought KJs? Why are you so skeptical now? [-(

I decided to try it out. I just added 2 oz. to my 18.5 gallon tank last night. So far:
  • Idle seems smoother
  • Acceleration seems smoother
  • Increased low-end horsepower (perceived)
  • EVIC has gone from 14.8 mpg to 16.7 mpg.
Before you ask:
Could the smoothness and horsepower be my imagination? Sure.
Could the increase in fuel economy be because I'm hoping to see an improvement, so I'm driving more conservatively? I really don't think so (I haven't seen the EVIC show anything above 15.1 mpg since I lifted and installed my Revos), but I'm willing to concede the possibility.

In any case, if it only costs me $6 per 160 gallons to keep imagining better performance, and keep me driving conservatively enough to see a 2 mpg increase in fuel economy, I think I'll keep doing it.

(My results are EXTREMELY preliminary...if they don't continue past a few tankfuls, or if anyone can come up with a valid reason not to use acetone, I'll stop. But for now I'm very, very impressed.)

If anyone has any sincere interest (or morbid curiosity), I'm posting my results on the LOST website: http://p087.ezboard.com/fkjjeepfrm1.showMessage?topicID=3741.topic

Now, what type did you put in? Straight nail polish remover from the local drug store? The stuff from HD in a plastic bottle thats strong enough for it? Did you run the tank down, put the acetone in, then add the gas? Or did you do the gas first, then the acetone?

Troysterr

Reaction score
I have to take exception to this comment. It's comparing apples and oranges.
Yes, you're right...I put a smiley there hoping that it would be understood that I was joking, but I probably wasn't clear enough. You SHOULD be highly skeptical about putting stuff in your fuel tank.
It seems like its a paper written by a student.
I don't think that's quite fair. The web site is somewhat amateurish, and there are grammatical errors here and there, but most engineers aren't great technical writers.
Now, what type did you put in? Straight nail polish remover from the local drug store?
Nah, that stuff usually has fragrance and other ingredients. I got a quart of 100% pure acetone from Checker. It comes in a metal container.
Did you run the tank down, put the acetone in, then add the gas? Or did you do the gas first, then the acetone?
For the first dosage, I added the acetone to a tank that was about 1/4 full, then filled it the rest of the way. In the future, I'll probably just wait until I'm almost empty, add the acetone, then fill the tank. (Generally I'll put 15-16 gallons in.) I'm not concerned about precision, since I'm not currently following any scientific method to analyze the results. I'll just try to keep somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 oz. per 10 gallons. I mean, why be precise now if I have no intention of maintaining that level of precision long-term? It needs to work when I just slop the acetone in or else I'm not interested.
I would imagine that it would also violate the warranty.
Do you really think a dealer would have a machine that could detect 0.3% acetone in gasoline, and distinguish that acetone from the acetone that gasoline already has in it from the refinery?

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Troysterr said:
I would imagine that it would also violate the warranty.
Do you really think a dealer would have a machine that could detect 0.3% acetone in gasoline, and distinguish that acetone from the acetone that gasoline already has in it from the refinery?

I honestly don't know. that kind of thing has surprised me in the past. But some of the things they can do today, would suggest to me that they could, but that doesn't mean that they would. :-k

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even if it did improve gas mileage by 2mpg, is it worth it? probably not, you will prob save a few hundred bucks at most per year. definatly not worth it if it has a chance of damaging your engine parts, but i guess thats some of your guys own opinions.

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Very interesting though, do keep us informed on your progress.

Props for trying it out.

Bennett

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I wish you good luck too, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. But I would like to know how it comes out.

BluPhant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yoda13 said:
yeah, I wish you good luck too, I just couldn't bring myself to do it. But I would like to know how it comes out.

Ditto, oh, and be very careful when filling your tank with acetone. One wrong move and you might end up with a customized paint job. ;)

2003KJ

Reaction score
kegjeep said:
even if it did improve gas mileage by 2mpg, is it worth it? probably not, you will prob save a few hundred bucks at most per year. definatly not worth it if it has a chance of damaging your engine parts, but i guess thats some of your guys own opinions.

This all depends on ones budget. I'm on a very tight budget. So ANY little bit I can save here and there always helps. If you have some money to play around with, then it probably wouldn't make any difference, but for somebody like me, a few hundred buck at most a year would help alot.

Troy, what container did you transfer the acetone into to put in your tank? Or did you?

kegjeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hell im rootin for you guys. if it works and its safe for the engine then im all for it.

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was Pepboys the other day getting Purolater oil filters, which were all sold out, I looked through all the fuel/fuel system cleaners. Only one brand called out acetone on the back label. Barryman's Products. Three different products but only two called out acetone. The Total fuel system cleaner for $7.99 and another fuel product (I'm forgetting the name) which was $3.99. Both bottles 16oz. In addition to the acetone there was also methyl ketones, and a slew of other things.
But everybottle was either just disstiliates (sp) or didn't say anything.

I found this curious.

Troysterr

Reaction score
Troy, what container did you transfer the acetone into to put in your tank? Or did you?
I left the acetone in its original metal container. I wrapped it in a plastic bag and propped it securely in place in my cargo area.

(A quart of acetone sloshing around your cargo area would be a bad, bad thing. [-X )

2003KJ

Reaction score
Troysterr said:
I left the acetone in its original metal container. I wrapped it in a plastic bag and propped it securely in place in my cargo area.

(A quart of acetone sloshing around your cargo area would be a bad, bad thing. [-X )

indeed it would. How's the Jeep runnin?

Troysterr

Reaction score
It's interesting...the effect seems to be dwindling as time goes by. The EVIC is down to 16.3 mpg (which is still 1.5 mpg higher than usual), and the horsepower seems to be going back down to what I'm accustomed to.

Remember, though, that I only added 1/2 the recommended amount. I'll be topping the tank off in the next couple of days, and I'll add the full recommended amount. I'll let you know how it goes.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I reset it earlier this week. This is ALL city. It peaked at 21MPG earlier.

\:D/ Looks like my new driving habits are paying off. =D>

stackthepads30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, as a drug dealer (legally) I can see the point of reduced surface tension as I recall in my inorganic chemistry classes. Reminds me of a water strider, which relies on surface tension to "glide" across the surface of the water. But add a surfactant, and watch that little bug sink like a rock. I would be very concerned, however, with the engine parts and the potential for corrosion of any hoses or mechanical parts (I'll have to reread my inorganic chemistry books and my Remington's manual {the bible of pharmaceutical compounding}) #-o