Best way or place to get a spare key?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am down to 1 now, I just lost a set of keys over the weekend. I believe I have the original numbered key tag somewhere.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea how much? It has to be better than the $885 I was quoted to resolve the situation at the farm where I was parked at. Luckily I was able to borrow a truck overnight to get my other keys.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got some transponder keys off e-bay for about $10 a while back. Cost me about $30 for dealer programming.

Otter64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't you still use a normal transponder key and just not have the key fob?

yes, but it becomes a pain in the butt when the only lock is on the drivers door. and everything has to be unlocked from there, been there done that. if you need the tail gate popped, you have to unlock the drivers door then unlock the remaining doors from the inside which includes the tails gate, then walk around to the rear and open it from there... we as a society have become lazy, me included, but it doesn't help when there is only friggin lock on the damn thing.

wolverine1020

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not go to a dealer, find a local locksmith that has the programing equipment.
It will save you about $40-$50

Since you have one left it should only cost you about $75 (more or less on location)
Those numbers on the tag are for the dealer when you have no keys left.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes, but it becomes a pain in the butt when the only lock is on the drivers door. and everything has to be unlocked from there, been there done that. if you need the tail gate popped, you have to unlock the drivers door then unlock the remaining doors from the inside which includes the tails gate, then walk around to the rear and open it from there... we as a society have become lazy, me included, but it doesn't help when there is only friggin lock on the damn thing.

I was planning on installing an aftermarket alarm/starter, so I don't want a key fob/key, AND a key fob lol

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All noted, thanks for the info. You don't have to tell me twice about staying away from the dealer! Although my dealer wasn't bad at the time, they are closed now.

Latest posts

Members online