Best upgrades for a 4X4 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chesterp

Reaction score
Hey everyone my name is colin, i am 14 years old about to be 15. I plan on getting a Jeep Liberty as my first car (4X4). From now on ive decided to start saving for upgrades for this Liberty so when i get it i can make it sick. I already know what stereo system i want. But I also want a good lift,tires and rims to go with my jeep along with any must need accessories. If anyone can suggest any good lifts, tires, and rims please help me. Thank you.

Chester

Last edited:

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Been there, done that. Been Jeep obsessed since I was 1. 20 now. :)

My advice for you: PLEASE AVOID THE LIFT UNTIL YOU get at LEAST 2-3 years of driving experience under your belt. Some others would recommend even more. I don't want to sound like your mom or dad or anything, just saying, these things can and do roll easily and the lift will make things much worse. I learned how to drive on trucks, and yes I have almost rolled one myself, that's why I said... just give it some time.

Don't let that discourage you though. :) Congrats though, you have good taste in vehicles, hehehehehhehehe.

When it comes to tires... there's so many out there. Here's the more popular ones among owners

Bridgestone Dueler REVO
BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A
Toyo Open Country A/T (I'm running these now, good tire)
Pathfinder All Terrain
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
General Grabber AT 2 (Looking to get these next... maybe)

The "best" accessories are entirely up to you, depends on what you use it for. Personally for me, the best thing I have ever put in my Jeep is GPS Navigation.... and tires of course. :) The Crapyears that come on the Jeep from the factory plainly suck.

Rims are subjective. What someone else likes, I might hate with a passion and want to destroy. :)

Good luck with finding one you like, oh and driving in general.

chesterp

Reaction score
Thanks for advice, I've been driving a GMC YukonXL with my parents just around the hood ;D so I physicly know how to drive a car. But what do you meen "rolling" a car. I don't really understand. Other than that... anyother suggestions?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well yes you know how to drive, but at the same time, you don't know how to drive. :D It's difficult to explain, LOL.

Good to know you'll at least "know how" when you get in driver's ed though. Can you believe some people actually go to driver's ed without a CLUE as to what to do when they get behind the wheel of that Cavalier or Neon or whichever car they'll use? Don't even know what PRND21 means or 1-2-3-4-5-6-R.

When I say roll, I mean when it rolls over on its side or roof or a combination of both.

This is what can happen when you "roll" a Liberty, it's not a pretty sight, and it can be easily done...

You must be registered for see images

The Liberty is a narrow and high 4x4. The narrower and higher a 4x4 is, the more easily it'll roll. If I went out right now and decided "I want to destroy my Liberty by rolling it", all I need to do is go about 45MPH and turn the wheel real fast either to the left or right and bam, my Liberty is destroyed and I'm in the hospital....

But I'll pass. :) There are other situations where it might happen and at much slower speeds.

Here's what I do suggest, whatever you do, make your Liberty YOURS instead of just copying what someone else already did. :) So if you see some rims or tires or graphics / whatever out there that you think might look good, get it and screw what anybody else has to say about it!

Last edited:

chesterp

Reaction score
oh.. now your speaking my language. I think rims, tires and a stereo will do just fine. Any other suggestions on must haves?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
oh.. now your speaking my language. I think rims, tires and a stereo will do just fine. Any other suggestions on must haves?

Depends. What size rims are you looking for? The only must-have I can think of is tow hooks if you want to offroad. If you just want to look like you can climb a mountain, I recommend a detailing kit. :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone my name is colin, i am 14 years old about to be 15. I plan on getting a Jeep Liberty as my first car (4X4). From now on ive decided to start saving for upgrades for this Liberty so when i get it i can make it sick. I already know what stereo system i want. But I also want a good lift,tires and rims to go with my jeep along with any must need accessories. If anyone can suggest any good lifts, tires, and rims please help me. Thank you.

Chester
If you plan on offroading the KJ the first thing to get is tow points(tow hooks F/R),then the armor(full skids,rockrails and not the OEM one's),lift,and then tires and wheels.After you get the first 4 things then you can look at getting steel F/R bumbers,lockers,and a winch.

Just remember tow points are first,gotta have a way to get pulled out when stuck,then the armor to protect the $$$$ parts of the KJ.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you plan on offroading the KJ the first thing to get is tow points(tow hooks F/R),then the armor(full skids,rockrails and not the OEM one's),lift,and then tires and wheels.After you get the first 4 things then you can look at getting steel F/R bumbers,lockers,and a winch.

Just remember tow points are first,gotta have a way to get pulled out when stuck,then the armor to protect the $$$$ parts of the KJ.

Agree 100%. No matter what elce you do or don't do these are first.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just one thing, if you plan to do a lot of your upgrades/modifications, don't get a Limited. You will be just replacing the stuff you paid extra for, like tires, rims, stereo :)

Those tires Marlon mentioned do not come in 17" for example. There a lot of stuff you can do to a sport without the remorse. And you pay about $10k less. Since you are a new driver, and by the time you decide to get a Jeep Liberty it will be the second generation Liberty (KK) so most of the stuff we say may not apply..

If you consider a used Jeep (which I would recommend highly, so you don't worry about busting it or putting a few stripes on it) go for the one with Selec-Trac, which allows you to drive in 4x4 Full Time.

Read these forums, and you will be fine. :)

chesterp

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for you replies. As far as rims go, won't be getting any 20" rims nothing you would find on an Escalade... the Liberty is not that kinda SUV. Anyways, I was looking into a good 18" or 19" rim that will go good with a silver liberty. Also I am buying this used, i wont be getting this for another year so by the time i get it ill probably have a 2005 or 2004.

Thanks.

EDIT: I found these tires and rims on the net, they were recomended (the tires) but the rims looked awesome too. So heres my question, if i get these tires and rims, will i have to buy a lift because the tire is so bigs? Please reply,thanks.

Tires: http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT67640.aspx
Rims: http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT3361T100021.aspx

if you have anyother suggestions on better rims or tires just tell me. thanks

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding on to what marlon said, there is a difference between knowing how to drive and having experience at driving. Im 20 going on 21 this fall and I still do not have ALOT of experience. I feel like Im a good driver and Ive yet to have any wrecks(knock on wood), but I still do alot of stupid things(mostly on purpose, hehe).

Now onto the mods.

-Tow points first and fore most. Like Tjkj said.
-Skids
-Lift
-Tires and or rims.

Enjoy you libery. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for you replies. As far as rims go, won't be getting any 20" rims nothing you would find on an Escalade... the Liberty is not that kinda SUV. Anyways, I was looking into a good 18" or 19" rim that will go good with a silver liberty. Also I am buying this used, i wont be getting this for another year so by the time i get it ill probably have a 2005 or 2004.

Thanks.

EDIT: I found these tires and rims on the net, they were recomended (the tires) but the rims looked awesome too. So heres my question, if i get these tires and rims, will i have to buy a lift because the tire is so bigs? Please reply,thanks.

Tires: http://www.4wheelparts.com/PDT67640.aspx
Rims: http://www.4wheelparts.com/PPT3361T100021.aspx

if you have anyother suggestions on better rims or tires just tell me. thanks
Well the tires that link goes to will require about $10,000-$15,000 worth of modifing to make fit on a KJ since they are 38" tall tires,plus they are for 20" rims and the link to the rims you want are only available in 15" and 16" sizes.They do make the Toyo MT's for 15 and 16 inch rims.With out a lift the biggest you can go is a 245/70R16(29.5" tall),with a lift you can shoehorn(with alot of trimming) up to 265/75R16's(or 235/85R16's or 32") but most poeple run 245/75R16's(30.5" tall tires) with a lift.

chesterp

Reaction score
Can someone just recomend a good pair of inexpensive tires and rims to go with a 2.5" Lift!?

chesterp

Reaction score
Well i'll probably use it for offroading and for driving around ofcourse... i guess ill need an all terrain tire along with some good rims to go with

nfmisso

Reaction score
Well i'll probably use it for offroading and for driving around ofcourse... i guess ill need an all terrain tire along with some good rims to go with

Liberator A/T from Wal-mart. Inexpensive, last forever, very rugged. I have a set on my Ranger with over 40,000 miles on them, and discovered last week that they handle six inches of water very well.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a lift and and even after major trimming you will still rub with 32x11.50 tires on 15x10 rims with 3.75" BS.Those tires are to wide for a KJ and those rims are way to wide for a KJ.I ran for a short time 8" wide rims with 3.75" BS like those you want and rubbed like crazy with 265/75's(31.5" tall x 9" wide),and I'm netting almost 4" out of my lift,I had to go to a 7" rim with 4.5" BS to rid my KJ of the rubbing issues.Stick with a 8" or less rim with between 4.5"-5" BS and keep the tires no wider than 10.50" and less than 32" .The most popular is to go to 16x8 rim with 5" BS with 245/75R16 tires,but only with a lift.Without a lift the biggest you can go is 245/70R16(29.5" tall) on a 16x7 rim with 5.5" BS(OEM rim size).Sorry but the KJ just doesn't have the wheel wells for the bigger tires and rims sizes you want.

chesterp

Reaction score
This is why i picked those rims, because they said that they would fit along witht the tires.
You must be registered for see images attach

Would these Work?!
You must be registered for see images attach