Best Receiver Hitch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I want to buy a receiver hitch for my KJ, I'm gonna install it myself to save a little cash, can't be too hard. Now I just have to figure out which one I want to get. Any suggestions on a fairly priced one that is reliable and well hidden. I don't care to see it a little but nothing bulky hanging down, looking bad.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I installed a Hidden Hitch...the hitch body is hidden very well, but the receiver sticks out a bit. The mopar hitch seems to fit pretty good from what I've noticed.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know which aftermarket hitch is best. I have the OEM one with the tow package.

There's 6 graded bolts that should come with the hitch. Put a little loc-tite on them when you install them. I think they are supposed to be torqued to 100ft lbs. Then you can get a receiver bar and shackle for the back which is better than a tow hook. The gas tank skid goes on first and then the hitch on top of the skid.

Dave

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I installed a Hidden Hitch...the hitch body is hidden very well, but the receiver sticks out a bit. The mopar hitch seems to fit pretty good from what I've noticed.

I have a Putnam Hitch. It tucks up behind the dumper very well. It sticks out a little farther than the OEM but in way that good b/c i have a bike rack and cargo rack for my hitch that would not work with the oem hitch b/c of the tire. We have putnam hitches on all the trucks/suvs/rvs in my family and none of them have failed us yet.

You must be registered for see images

Did either of you install them yourself? Also what will I have to do for a trailer wiring harness?

Last edited:

Khaki-KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the Mopar hitch and the Mopar wiring harness. I did not want to be messing around with an aftermarket wiring harness when the Mopar harness is plug and play.

The hitch is easy to install, but if you have the tank skid on already, you should find a friend to help you.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed mine my self. 4 grade 8 bolts and it's done. you'll need a buddy to hold it and a air impact drill.

I didn't installed a wire harness yet. But I've seen some easy after market ones that plug into the back of the left and right tail lights. Like you would plug the light wiring into the into the wire harness then plug that into the light bulbs them selves. That's what i'll be getting eventually b/c from what I learned the oem wire harness connector is behind the right panel below the window in the cargo area of my KJ. I don't feel like taking that apart. Unless i'm wrong and someone can tell me where the wire harness connector is on the 06 models.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I went with the Mopar hitch and the Mopar wiring harness. I did not want to be messing around with an aftermarket wiring harness when the Mopar harness is plug and play.

The hitch is easy to install, but if you have the tank skid on already, you should find a friend to help you.

I do have the mopar skids, I will have help but whats so special about the skid?

I installed mine my self. 4 grade 8 bolts and it's done. you'll need a buddy to hold it and a air impact drill.

I didn't installed a wire harness yet. But I've seen some easy after market ones that plug into the back of the left and right tail lights. Like you would plug the light wiring into the into the wire harness then plug that into the light bulbs them selves. That's what i'll be getting eventually b/c from what I learned the oem wire harness connector is behind the right panel below the window in the cargo area of my KJ. I don't feel like taking that apart. Unless i'm wrong and someone can tell me where the wire harness connector is on the 06 models.

Well I have a buddy and an impact wrench and have experience taking out the back body panels, it isn't hard at all so I can handle that.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the mopar skids, I will have help but whats so special about the skid?

Well I have a buddy and an impact wrench and have experience taking out the back body panels, it isn't hard at all so I can handle that.

Then you're good to go. Now go buy the hitch!!!

Khaki-KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

There is nothing special about the skid. It is a pain in the butt trying to hold up the tank skid and the trailer hitch by yourself while you are trying to thread in a bolt before the whole mess falls on top of you. :)

I did it by myself. I took out all of the bolts except the two bolts at the rear of the Jeep, I just loosened them off so the tank skid did not come off the Jeep. I then put the front two bolts on the hitch and through the skid plate into the holes in the frame. Once I got the first one in, it was fairly easy to get the rest in. When I got to the front, I just took out the two bolts I left in, put them through the hitch and the skid and started tightening.

One suggestion, it is better to put on the wiring harness first and then the hitch. Once the hitch is on, it is really tight in there and you may have to loosen everything off to get some space to clip in the harness.

Oh yes, if this is a factory installed tank skid plate, the bolt under the tailpipe is a real pain. You will need a ratcheting gearwrench. Nothing else will fit in there unless you take off the tailpipe. You can use an open ended wrench, but pack a lunch, you will be there for some time getting it off and then putting it back on. The bolt size is going to be 18mm.

Last edited:

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChiefRudy I hope you didnt use Grade 8 bolts bc it uses metric 10.9 bolts

Thats what my father told me they were. I really didn't pay attention to that kind of detail. The bolts came with the hitch and that's what I used. The whole thing was designed for the 02-07 liberty. So it's not a one-size fits all hitch.

Last edited:

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would also recommend the MOPAR trailer harness. It's a 7-pin harness so that you can, in the future, run a brake controller and trailer brakes.

Towing with the KJ is pretty easy if you have the right setup.

A couple of tips:
1) Use a transmission or floor jack to hold the Hitch up in place while you are wrenching. It won't fatigue your arms.

2) BP blaster any bolts that you are removing. Let the BP blaster soak for at least 15 minutes.

3) If no bolts are in the holes, they might be gummed up. So I would recommend hand threading the bolts (without the hitch) first to clear out the treads in the frame. Then go ahead and preceed with your hitch installation.