Best place to buy a radiator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday that the radiator in my wife’s O2 liberty was leaking. I replaced the original in 2012 with one from Napa and it started leaking in 2015. Got a free replacement from Napa and it lasted until yesterday. I don’t know if they will give me another free replacement. It did have a lifetime guarantee. What brand should I buy if I cannot get a free replacement?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mopar is the only brand that lasts a long time, as far as I can tell. That’s what I used last year when I had to replace my radiator.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I looked, I couldn't find an 02 mopar rad for my 04. I was going to add the transmission cooler thats in the 02 radiators, but decided to go with the Mopar replacement for my 04.

Did add the PML pan to help lower trans temps, which seems to have worked well.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I looked, I couldn't find an 02 mopar rad for my 04. I was going to add the transmission cooler thats in the 02 radiators, but decided to go with the Mopar replacement for my 04.

Did add the PML pan to help lower trans temps, which seems to have worked well.
I've got one that just came out of my 05 with the trans provisions. Was seeping slightly where plastic meets aluminum. If you want it.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mopar is the only brand that lasts a long time, as far as I can tell. That’s what I used last year when I had to replace my radiator.
I stopped at the dealer and they want $40.60 plus tax for the OEM thermostat.
I was afraid to ask how much for a radiator.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Napa wont honor the lifetime warranty because I installed the radiator myself.
Anybody got one of the aluminum radiators from Amazon or E-bay?

Last edited:

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stopped at the dealer and they want $40.60 plus tax for the OEM thermostat.
I was afraid to ask how much for a radiator.
I got a "mopar" thermostat a while ago from the dealer and it has the chystler symbol on it but also says motorad on it and looks identical to the motorad one I removed.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Buddy had NAPA one, they lifetime warrantyed his 11 times in a little over a year
He did all of his himself in hotel parking lots in areas he was working

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buddy had NAPA one, they lifetime warrantyed his 11 times in a little over a year
He did all of his himself in hotel parking lots in areas he was working
So… Are you saying I shouldn’t buy one from Napa? I can’t get a Mopar radiator, dealership says they are discontinued.

Reaction score
I personally got my radiator from RockAuto, I used a TYC (See here: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5061696&cc=1433762&pt=2172&jsn=2236). That was alittle over 2 years ago. Haven't had any issues besides having to replace a little rubber stop cap that blocks off a fitting on the aftermarket radiator that I dont use for my Jeep.

While I was in there I replaced the radiator, upper/lower hose, and thermostat. All parts from RA. MOPAR for thermostat, and Gates for hoses/waterpump.

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This sounds like a bunch of BS. Ive warrantied ALOT of stuff at napa and its never been an issue.

If you can find an 03+ Mopar rad, you could add an AUX trans cooler and do away with the inrad cooler.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
S'far as I know Mopar don't make rads. they buy them in from whoever's cheapest, in fact they don't even seem to package them: the original rads. in 2 of my XJ's had Valeo labels on them - so who knows who made them, & I doubt anything's changed.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
I got a "mopar" thermostat a while ago from the dealer and it has the chystler symbol on it but also says motorad on it and looks identical to the motorad one I removed.
So now we know where Mopar get their 'stats (at least while it suits them). Just supports what I've been saying all along, they don't make anything, just assemble cars using (in the main) generic parts bought in from the cheapest supplier. However, they do have some very expensive boxes made. (but not quite in the same league as Ferrari packaging for Champion plugs)

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now we know where Mopar get their 'stats (at least while it suits them). Just supports what I've been saying all along, they don't make anything, just assemble cars using (in the main) generic parts bought in from the cheapest supplier. However, they do have some very expensive boxes made. (but not quite in the same league as Ferrari packaging for Champion plugs)
You may be right, I didn't find a chrysler or mopar indication on the "mopar" radiator I recently put in anywhere, but there also wasn't one on the one coming out either (may not have been original). We can hope that if mopar is putting their name on it that they hold the mfr to a higher standard, but I have my doubts on that. I generally go on a case by case basis. If mopar doesn't cost much more (which is seldom) I will sometimes go for it, but it certainly isn't a hard rule for me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I will not install any stat that does not come from JEEP/MOPAR
have had to remove many from Autozone / NAPA etc over years, so got tired of doing free labor for customers who would not spend the extra money
Have never had a bad one from a dealership

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will not install any stat that does not come from JEEP/MOPAR
have had to remove many from Autozone / NAPA etc over years, so got tired of doing free labor for customers who would not spend the extra money
Have never had a bad one from a dealership
Just replaced a motorad from napa that looks identical to the mopar/motorad one I got from dealer, other than the added Chrysler emblem. Ran the one from Napa for years with no issues and only replaced it because I was replacing nearly everything else, rad, WP, and hoses.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.