Best Lift Kit/tires for the "all 'rounder"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i picked up my '04 Renegade about a month ago, and i am looking to lift it. A little back story to give better insight into what i'm looking for. I currently have the KJ as my daily driver, and commute to work 100 miles a day round trip (mainly highway, and MPG is a concern). On weekends i'd like to go wheeling with my "Jeep friends". So far from the research i've done, i've been seeing a lot of praise about the OME kit. As far as tires go i was looking at the BFGoodrich all-terrain t/a ko2's in 245/75/16. If any one has any other suggestions let me know, thanks!

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No one will argue with the OME kit here...alternatively you could go with the Ironman which is just as good. As far as tires go, i think quite a few people are quite happy with Goodyear Duratracs.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i picked up my '04 Renegade about a month ago, and i am looking to lift it. A little back story to give better insight into what i'm looking for. I currently have the KJ as my daily driver, and commute to work 100 miles a day round trip (mainly highway, and MPG is a concern). On weekends i'd like to go wheeling with my "Jeep friends". So far from the research i've done, i've been seeing a lot of praise about the OME kit. As far as tires go i was looking at the BFGoodrich all-terrain t/a ko2's in 245/75/16. If any one has any other suggestions let me know, thanks!

If MPGs are an important thing then stay stock size tires and minor lift, just the way it is, even going to 245-75-16s is going to cost ya 2-3 MPGs at least, more aggressive tread pattern will as well.
But Ironman and OME are both great lifts , have helped install a bunch of them and no complaints on either one, best of course is the jeepinbyal adjustable coilover, can't beat the ride, so comfortable
Forget spacer lifts, Skyjacker, Rustys, RRO etc.

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If MPGs are an important thing then stay stock size tires and minor lift, just the way it is, even going to 245-75-16s is going to cost ya 2-3 MPGs at least, more aggressive tread pattern will as well.
But Ironman and OME are both great lifts , have helped install a bunch of them and no complaints on either one, best of course is the jeepinbyal adjustable coilover, can't beat the ride, so comfortable
Forget spacer lifts, Skyjacker, Rustys, RRO etc.

Thanks Tom, i appreciate the input! I will certainly take all of those factors in to account when making my decision. I do plan on purchasing the lift kit from JBA. Now i just need to decide whether i wanna sacrifice the MPG's for the bigger tires...who am i kidding, of course i do haha

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Tom, i appreciate the input! I will certainly take all of those factors in to account when making my decision. I do plan on purchasing the lift kit from JBA. Now i just need to decide whether i wanna sacrifice the MPG's for the bigger tires...who am i kidding, of course i do haha

Most don't care but always like to make sure people understand that some mileage will be lost. Have had some come on forums later and start crying that they didn't know etc...LOL
But as long as you stick with 245-75-16s or below its noticeable but not too bad. Larger than that regear has to be done

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME is one the best lifts for Liberty. About the tires, choose Duratracs if your rig will see some snow.

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys, definitely will take all of this into consideration before making my purchases

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Budget for 2" corrected upper control arms (UCA's) too. JBA and RRO make them. Ours had bad camber issues till they went on. ***** to wear your new tires crooked for the first couple thousand miles until your bank account recovers enough to afford the arms.

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really like the iron man kit I have and the 255 70 16 general grabber at2s

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Budget for 2" corrected upper control arms (UCA's) too. JBA and RRO make them. Ours had bad camber issues till they went on. ***** to wear your new tires crooked for the first couple thousand miles until your bank account recovers enough to afford the arms.

Oh damn, never really took that into account, figured with the smaller lift it'd be ok. Thanks for the heads-up!

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Different areas, different circumstances. I had to quit selling Grabber ATII because of propensity for sidewall punctures. Great mileage, great quiet ride. Hardly ever a tread puncture and most were repairable, but way too often if customers got off road, cow pastures, woods, they'd stobb/cut a sidewall. Don't care for em personally.

Bob

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh damn, never really took that into account, figured with the smaller lift it'd be ok. Thanks for the heads-up!

Some KJs get away with it... others do not. :shrug: ***** to find out the hard way.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Under 3 inches or so you're good, its when you get into the 3.25-on up that you'll run into issues
I ran over 70,000 miles ( before we had any JBA UCAs available) and no problems

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Under 3 inches or so you're good, its when you get into the 3.25-on up that you'll run into issues
I ran over 70,000 miles ( before we had any JBA UCAs available) and no problems

So, if I used a 2½" lift kit AND did a clevis lift, I would not need new upper control arms?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, if I used a 2½" lift kit AND did a clevis lift, I would not need new upper control arms?

If you're going with OME 927s/948s you'll be at 2.5 over new stock height. Adding a 3/8 inch clevis lift which is what most do would give you another 3/4 inch of lift . Then you'd be at 3.25 inches. If wanting 3 then just go with 1/4 inches of clevis, OR do a 1/4 inch top plate for 1/2 inch more.
3 inches is kind of the break over point, going above that its a good idea to figure in JBA UCA's from the get go. Under that like I said its a great upgrade but can get by . That said we've done a lot of them over that height and the owners have ran them for several months before they upgraded.
Most of course said after we installed their new arms they should of done it from the start but.................................