Belt tensioner??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced mine on our '02 KJ Limited (68000 miles) with the Dayco brand. $45.99 @ local Advance Auto Parts store using $10 VISA discount code online. Took maybe 20 minutes tops.

Probably would have been a $150 job at dealer.

Attachments

• IMG_0298 as Smart Object-1.jpg
    IMG_0298 as Smart Object-1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

jake1234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was my setup at 75,750.

You must be registered for see images attach

This was my workshop that afternoon.
You must be registered for see images attach

I replaced it with the OEM one because that's who had it in stock.

Wow looks like the long island expressway, somewhere around nassau country. As soon as I heard mine starting to make noise I replaced the belt and tensioner.

paco29toy

Reaction score
My '04 Sport has 113K miles and dealer said the Belt tensioner was noisy and was coming apart when i took it in for a coolant flush...they wanted $238 to replace it, i knew i could replace it by my self and spent much less that $238...I'll start looking into this post to replace mine

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced my OEM tensioner at 88k miles. It wasn't shot, but I thought it must be near the end of it's useful life. I used NAPA 38167. Is this part no longer available? It's been less than a year since I replaced mine.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a 'cross update' of my own thread about the fan clutch AKA viscous drive...

Well, the noise turned out to be...the damn tensioner :disgust:. I knew it was on its way out, as it was the
original unit I had already re-installed once, but couldn't imagine it would cause that sort of noise :shrug:. My bad!
Put a Dayco (rockauto) but yes, as some members pointed out, the smooth pulley is bigger and it made
reinstalling the belt almost impossible. So I put the old pulley (still OK) and..voilà, noise gone for good... :smokin:

Down side is I've got a fan clutch in my stash now, oh well...