bell housing bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score
okay so i am pulling the motor from my wifes 02 liberty a real p.i.t.a., honestly i am pulling it simply so i can drop the oil pan to check rod bearings but so far i have been following the haynes manual and im sure i am going to get it out and realize the book made me to some stuff that wasnt necessary, any how i have all wires off, exhaust off up to the manifolds (cats were a pain to remove) starter out, front driveshaft out, radiator out, torque converter bolts out, grille out, bumper fascia off (need a few new plastic rivets) ac compressor off, ac condensor moved, alternator off, water temp sensor out, coolant reservoir off, all intake piping including actual intake manifold off, fuel rail off, power steering pump off, ground straps and vacuum lines off, hood off of course, so basically now i am down to i believe engine to transmission bolts and motor mount through bolts. my question is how many bolts are there to the ******? i am not sure if there are some i cant see, does any one know exactly how many i should find?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not including the lower torque converter inspection cover there are 6 bell housing bolts.The very top 2 you will need to drop the back of the trans down as far as it will go(t-case removed) and use about 3'-4' of extensions to access those.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score
okay so i got all of the trans bolts out including torq conv, but i cannot get the engine and ****** to seperate, but i havnt REALLY hossed on it yet. should i have to hoss on it? or should it come apart with a good pull?

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure you have all the bolts out?

2 on the top, 2 on each side, 2 on the bottom after you remove the supporting collar.

Once I got all the bolts out, all I had to do was pull the ****** jack towards the back and it separated.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score
hmm, i was planning on leaving the ****** in place so i didnt remove any ****** mount bolts or rear drive shaft. should i? i have just been trying to pull engine forward and it is not working.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score
Are you absolutely sure you have all the bolts out?

2 on the top, 2 on each side, 2 on the bottom after you remove the supporting collar.

Once I got all the bolts out, all I had to do was pull the ****** jack towards the back and it separated.

so that is 8 bolts total, i didnt find that many but i did find a couple of blank holes.

josh.crotsley

Reaction score
okay i got it out. i dropped the crossmember bolts and pulled the trans back and to my not so amazement it came free. only problem. im not using a ****** jack but a floor jack. so now the angle is all off when i go to put the motor back in.

Latest posts

Members online