Bearing or driveshaft or ...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

subkron

Reaction score
After exiting an interstate a couple of nights ago heard a very loud grinding type sound - metal to metal - coming from the front of the truck. Was associated with motion, so I figured something maybe with brakes, bearing or front driveshaft. Couldn't localize it, wife has AAA so it was towed back to driveway.

I know I need a front driveshaft (I'm on the Eric's waiting list) but I was not in 4wd.

Hopped back in last night and the sound is completely gone. I'm thinking it may be heat aggravated (since I was doing 70 mph on the interstate) and when it sat & cooled down it went away but don't know which components would change from being very loud back to normal.

Ideas?

ericautopart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this and this is STRICTLY PERSONAL advice but since I have such a high waiting list for the front props I've been told the issue can be temporarily solved by flipping the drive shaft around. It's been reported to fix the issue for up to 6 mos. I can't confirm since I don't have a liberty. As for your noise..sounds like the caliper may have got hung up and possibly worked itself free? Did you inspect the brakes for discoloration?

liberty84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...well can't we drive without the front DS...i mean of ourse if we are not going to use the 4x4

subkron

Reaction score
I was going to remove the ds anyway. What do I look for on the intermediate shaft it is bad? I had taken a quick look at the CV and the boot seemed fine.
I'll have more time over the weekend.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't quote me on this and this is STRICTLY PERSONAL advice but since I have such a high waiting list for the front props I've been told the issue can be temporarily solved by flipping the drive shaft around. It's been reported to fix the issue for up to 6 mos. I can't confirm since I don't have a liberty. As for your noise..sounds like the caliper may have got hung up and possibly worked itself free? Did you inspect the brakes for discoloration?
If it makes noise installed correctly it will make the same noise installed backwards.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it makes noise installed correctly it will make the same noise installed backwards.

x2...installing it backwards (if the Right side is damaged or worn) can cause damage to the teeth in side the housing....dont reccomend it. Besides, you most likely will need to replace the front CV on the Right side as well if the intermed shaft is bad. Its a cheap one too from Napa ($70). Get the Napa "remanned" one not the new cardone version.

Sounds like u just got a bad axle, especially if it makes a grinding or "bump" noise relative to the speed ur driving. If you cannot wait on Eric (I got mine from him and he takes care of us), Rompalicious has a good price on an intermediate shaft.

http://shoplive.rompalicious.comind..._id=&categories_id=&keyword=5066057AB&x=0&y=0

Lima.Charlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 on TBJ's comment. I am rolling around right now. Instead of getting a new front DS get the pancake joint replaced with a U-joint. Around 200 to do so at your local driveline shop.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
x2...installing it backwards (if the Right side is damaged or worn) can cause damage to the teeth in side the housing....dont reccomend it. Besides, you most likely will need to replace the front CV on the Right side as well if the intermed shaft is bad. Its a cheap one too from Napa ($70). Get the Napa "remanned" one not the new cardone version.

Sounds like u just got a bad axle, especially if it makes a grinding or "bump" noise relative to the speed ur driving. If you cannot wait on Eric (I got mine from him and he takes care of us), Rompalicious has a good price on an intermediate shaft.

http://shoplive.rompalicious.comind..._id=&categories_id=&keyword=5066057AB&x=0&y=0

Link isn't working bigBlue