BCM, RKE, ECU, TCU compatibility and swap.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey All.

I am currently building a 2002 limted, and had some ?'s for you.

BCM. I swapped the dash over to charcoal from the donor. along with this came the BCM. I presume that the BCM is what stores the RKE codes as the old remotes from the jeep that the dash came out of now work with this one, rather than the ones that came with it.

Another reason for the swap is the fact that this thing has been regeared to 4.10's and has 32" tires. It's my understanding that the tire size/axle ratio are programmed into the BCM, and I know the speedo was accurate with the lift and tires on the Renegade it came out of.

Since the BCM has been swapped, I also swapped the gauge cluster with it. It is my understanding that the BCM stores the mileage of the vehicle, as does the cluster.

The concept of a BCM is not foreign to me, but I have never owned or dug far enough into a vehicle with one to be confident enough to say that I am without a doubt correct.

The mileage between the two jeeps is close anyways, and I have maintenance records on the one that all of the parts came off of, so it will be nicer to keep up maintenance this way as it is for my own personal use, not for resale. I should disclaim that there are no mechanical parts (right down to ball joints, ebrake cables, etc.) that were on the limited that have not been swapped out with parts from the donor vehicle.

Is the mileage also stored on the ECM or TCM? I will be getting this thing scanned out when I'm done, and don't want someone to go and undo my swappage and eff up my ability to keep accurate maintenance records for this thing. Again, it's for personal use.

I don't particularly carer if the VIN reads correct on any or all of the computers/modules, but can that be corrected in them to keep there from being alot of issues with techhnicians scratching their heads, as they typically aren't smart enough to conceive the idea of doing a complete swap and rebuild to something.

As I understand it, there are only two different types of BCM's in these; a base model and an up-packaged model.

If this is correct, I should have no issues with the fact that this jeep is now a hybrid, being a Limited with leather seats, heat, sunroof, cruise, fogs, power everything.....combined with a Renegade that had all of that except the sunroof and power/heated seats, and also had a light bar.

Am I right on the money with most (or all) this? If not, what am I missing?

Before anyone boo-hoo's me on the computer swap, remember that this vehicle is for personal use, not to re-sell, and that I've still titled the vehicle with accurate mileage to the VIN.

Thanks,

Pat

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I borrowed a friend's DRB2 scanner and confirmed all of my findings.

thanks.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
*shrug* he gave me a scanner that he said would work, told me how to use it. I guess I just assumed it was a drb2.

I'm a mechanic, not an electrician or computer guru lol. this stuff is all a bit newer than I'm used to.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He's a mechanic, owns his own shop...makes sense for him to have one.