Battery terminal repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny my search didn't come up with a fix but I know this is a common problem-Battery terminals that go bad.

The new harness is reportedly $110 and has so many connections that it isn't fondly embraced.

My negative terminal is the issue so I could follow some who bypassed the harness and ran new cables (2?) to the chassis and fender.

I don't want to rig it with clamps, etc. that will quickly corrode. I wonder if anyone has had success cutting it right behind the terminal and using a solder type battery connector and soldering the flat part of the old cable inside the solder cable?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't think I'm fully catching the issue, sorry! The terminal on my neg broke on the battery side...I just replaced that terminal with a new one, just unbolting the old one and bolting the new one on once the wires are fed through it. What are you working on?

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 liberty negative side. The copper flat terminal goes out and down the side a few inches where the two ground cables connects.

The harness seems too tight to cut the cables and bring up the side a few inches and then across the top to the negative post . the one cable goes to the driver side fender fall so it isn't like I can bring it around to the engine side and gain some inches.

If so then I would use a solder battery terminal to ensure good connection.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I did. Used marine terminal ends. Works great. (See attachment)

Attachments

• 1433511100970_18398882600_o.jpg
    1433511100970_18398882600_o.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 58

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Nice & even used brass terminals!
Personally I would prefer a nylock nut, instead of the wing nuts for this application.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Scorpion= some kinda fancy accessory terminals there!
Where did you get those?

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wanted to add an update. I added a terminal with a wing nut post and cut the copper flat section of the OEM cable and drilled a hole through it. Working so far as a reasonable short term fix.

I was searching Napa today for a battery and noted that they now sell a 2-part cable for the negative side of the liberty. 1 to the fender wall, the other to assuming the block someplace. Never tracked down where it goes.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.