Battery Odyssey ... Or Not

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the past couple of weeks I was thinking of replacing my OEM Mopar KJ battery (5-05 mfg date) Winter is coming.....In my travels I checked around and liked the Sears gel-cell made by Odyssey. But hey, my battery was testing fine and procrastination set in.

Last week when I did my routine checking on stuff and when I checked the battery it was fine.

This week I check it and it is only holding 11.3 volts.....WTF..........figured the jeep wouldn't start but it did...? Didn't sound like it really wanted to though. Enough screwing around with it. It's going to get cold soon.

Didn't feel like driving 30 miles to get a battery so I just drove the car over to NAPA around the corner and got a NAPA Legend Premium and brought it back to the poor jeep that was sitting in the driveway with the hood up. Swapped the batteries. Cranked it up and all is good. It's 800cca/960ca which is bigger than the OEM one (I think it was 600cca)

Oh, I have a thingy you plug into the 12v port that supposed to save your settings, etc when you swap batteries and it didn't work. (it worked the last time I used it on someone else's vehicle) ....my EVIC is reading 5 miles to empty on a full tank of gas......:smokin:......gotta go for a ride and reset it.....haha

Took the old battery into the garage and tested it again and it is now reading 12.43v......the alternator must have charged it up a little when I started the jeep before I got the new battery. (it was charging at 14.5v running) So apparently it is back up to normal voltage but just doesn't like taking a load....holding a charge but doesn't like to put out.....:smokin:haha

So, not the battery I was going to get but I guess I will see how good this NAPA Legend Premium is going to be.

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Any new battery is better than something that will leave you unable to start.
Then the thinking set in...WTF was I thinking not load testing my battery before winter anyways?
...and here is my one good chance right now to seriously upgrade for not much more $ !

Getting long life from any battery especially for short trip drivers or infrequent use includes:
ALWAYS charge your battery on a 2 Amp trickle overnight, once or twice per month!
There are many advantages to a AGM (absorb glass matt)
Higher cranking amps,(longer draw duration) sealed, and no acid venting causing terminal corrosion, and just a longer lasting "BEST" quality, Kick ass battery, in the case of the "Real" Odyssey 34-78 PC-1500.
I have no comments on the Sears brand as we can't get them here, I would rather get the best and pay more for the name brand Odyssey anyways. And they look great under the hood with bragging rights!

Sorry Dave but....
If you Buy the "BEST"
You won't have to worry that you may...
" Die like the Rest"..LOL (just kidding) Hopefully !
( I had to do this since you did not buy what you really wanted)
36691[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I bet Dave is on the phone to see if he can now return the NAPA brand, and get the upgrade price for an Odyssey now!

Attachments

• doDp4SW.jpg
    doDp4SW.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any new battery is better than something that will leave you unable to start.
Then the thinking set in...WTF was I thinking not load testing my battery before winter anyways?
...and here is my one good chance right now to seriously upgrade for not much more $ !

Getting long life from any battery especially for short trip drivers or infrequent use includes:
ALWAYS charge your battery on a 2 Amp trickle overnight, once or twice per month!
There are many advantages to a AGM (absorb glass matt)
Higher cranking amps,(longer draw duration) sealed, and no acid venting causing terminal corrosion, and just a longer lasting "BEST" quality, Kick ass battery, in the case of the "Real" Odyssey 34-78 PC-1500.
I have no comments on the Sears brand as we can't get them here, I would rather get the best and pay more for the name brand Odyssey anyways. And they look great under the hood with bragging rights!

Sorry Dave but....
If you Buy the "BEST"
You won't have to worry that you may...
" Die like the Rest"..LOL (just kidding) Hopefully !
( I had to do this since you did not buy what you really wanted)
36693[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I bet Dave is on the phone to see if he can now return the NAPA brand, and get the upgrade price for an Odyssey now!
The Diehard Platinum series batteries are made by Odyssey,the Odyssey PC1500 and the Diehard Platinum P4 are the same battery just different case color.

Oh and a AGM battery has vents also just like a wet cell battery,just the AGM's design does not form that "science project" on the terminals like wet cell batteries as a AGM has no water to boil.

Attachments

• OdysseyBattery.jpg
    OdysseyBattery.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 0

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^yeah, yeah........I knew everyone was going to bust on me for this new pos battery I got.....but curious to see how it does now. I think the free replacement is 3 years on the sucker.

Anyone want a free 5 1/2 year old Mopar battery that is holding a charge but doesn't like to put out...just come and get it......:smokin:

Dave

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Dave, You might want to keep the old one charged up, just in case the new Napa needs a boost....!!!!:whip::icon_lol:
Just kidding...you should be fine for a while now...:smokin:

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I run an Oreily special
dont know who makes it
I know it is 800CCA
I know it is about $75 to buy
I know that if it dies in 2 years they swap it out
I know the swap out has 2 years on it as it is new
I am on my 3rd in 3 years and it cost me $75 to date
They die in my Jeep for 2 reasons
#1 it has a short in the stalk and the fog light indicator light will come on if I dont
put on the turn signal before I get out this draws about 1/4 to 1/2 an amp
#2 I may drive it 2 times a month if that
as long as I can swap it for a free battery when I decide to not drive the Jeep for a few weeks I can live with that
In my wifes ride we run nothing but Interstate
main reason is availability
lots of shops carry Interstate so getting one is easy ,I work on the road so if she has trouble she can stop and have it swapped no problems and no looking for a particular store and they have a fairly good warranty 36 month replacement and 60 prorate
IIRC