Ball Joints Suck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my "New" drivers side LBJ has a torn boot and it's crapping grease out. It's got some play in it, along with the passenger side. Looks like i may jump on the Moog bandwagon with those dammed things sometime soon.

And while i was doing the passenger side, i noticed a clunking coming from the UBJ as i pried up on the wheel. Sure enough, it has a bunch of play in it. Drivers side looks fine, but the passengers looks like crap. I'm gonna try and get a video of it..

On that note, anybody tried the Moog UCA's? I'd like to put Al's arms in, but alas, no lift. :( The moog replacements look to be cheaper than the OEM's, and hopefully better quality.

Edit: Movie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHJQQn1M1cE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGsu8EbLmV0 (This one's a little upside down, use your imagination!)

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt drive that until you get that upper control arm fixed. No use in risking your life or others driving around you.

Lowers are covered under the recall for life, take it in and make them replace the lowers.

See if they will replace the upper for free(They probably wont) too since they both suck.

I wouldnt get the stock uppers arms again if you have to pay. Get anything but that.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OEM UCA's are made by MOOG so the MOOG versions are the same as the OEM,MOOG even makes the OEM LBJ's.The K3199 MOOG's are just a HD greaseable version.

Never knew the OEM UCA's were moogs. Some good info there. To bad they didn't make them greaseable!

I've thought about taking it in for the LBJ's again, but i'm getting tired of dealing with the stupid dealers. Easier to just do it myself and put in something i can grease. I dunno, i'm sure the wife will overrule me! :)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM UCA's are made by MOOG so the MOOG versions are the same as the OEM,MOOG even makes the OEM LBJ's.The K3199 MOOG's are just a HD greaseable version.

OMG....I didn't know that.....But that means all DC had to do was make a deal with Moog for a million of the greasable ones and replace them right.....with the HD greasable ones or better yet have put them in at the factory to begin with...geeeesh........Glad the D in DC is gone!!!

Dave

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Well I don't think the D in DC had much to do with the ball joint failures for the first generation Dodge Durango.... and 3rd generation Dodge Dakota. (Of course I'm sure "D" sure had a lot to do with how it was handled.)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think the D in DC had much to do with the ball joint failures for the first generation Dodge Durango.... and 3rd generation Dodge Dakota. (Of course I'm sure "D" sure had a lot to do with how it was handled.)

Yea that....and not a zerk to be found anywhere on the KJ...

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cableguy,

Who did the grease job on your jeep?
Totally stock a KJ has zero grease zerks.
DaveQuote:
Originally Posted by tjkj2002

OMG....I didn't know that.....But that means all DC had to do was make a deal with Moog for a million of the greasable ones and replace them right.....with the HD greasable ones or better yet have put them in at the factory to begin with...geeeesh........Glad the D in DC is gone!!!

Dave
Cost has alot to do with that,the K3199's are twice as expensive as the non-greaseable one's.If you have reciepts showing the price paid for the K3199's and install you can sent it to Jeep and they will reinburse you for the HD greaseable LBJ's.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost has alot to do with that,the K3199's are twice as expensive as the non-greaseable one's.If you have reciepts showing the price paid for the K3199's and install you can sent it to Jeep and they will reinburse you for the HD greaseable LBJ's.

tjkj.....yea, I figured it was a beancounter thing. But I had gone to the dealer and had my LBJ's replaced under recall with the pos replacements and THEN AFTERWARDS found out that if I had replaced them with the greasable Moogs, and sent them the receipt they would have paid for it as you said.........so I'm still zerkless..........

Dave

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have reciepts showing the price paid for the K3199's and install you can sent it to Jeep and they will reinburse you for the HD greaseable LBJ's.

Where is this offer stated? Does this apply to Canada as well?

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned that the lower ball joints are covered under warrenty for life! ,i thought that after the recall a new design was used and that was it.?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Someone mentioned that the lower ball joints are covered under warrenty for life! ,i thought that after the recall a new design was used and that was it.?

I'm confused as well. It's not so much warranty.... it's more of a requirement to replace a defective part. And whether they have to replace them for life is anyone's guess.

DryBones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I got mine done they told me 12/12 for warranty on the parts. Of course I will argue the point if and when I need to replace them AGAIN.

t_bois

Reaction score
"If you have reciepts showing the price paid for the K3199's and install you can sent it to Jeep and they will reinburse you for the HD greaseable LBJ's."

Is thiis true?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LBJ's are part of a safety recall and must be replaced when worn for the service life of the vehicle,so yes the LBJ's are free for the entire life of the KJ,'02-'05 models I believe are covered and not the '06-'07's.

And yes some poeple have been reinburesed for having the MOOG K3199's from Jeep,some haven't though.Oh and if you install the K3199's then the LBJ recall no longer applies to your KJ and will not be free if the K3199's ever fail.

JIMMY JEEP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 i know they were a safety recall but isnt the problem now resolved with the replacement ball joints?. I just find it hard to believe that they will be oblidged to keep changing the ball joints everytime they wear out.Surley they will say that they are no longer a safety issue as an improved design is now fitted

Last edited:

icarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I emailed chrysler canada about the ball joint issue. I asked if I could buy the moog ball joints and be reimbursed for the cost. This is their reply:

"Thank you for your email of November 24th, 2007.

It is imperative that you arrange to have the recall campaign inspection
performed by an authorized Chrysler dealer. If further service is
required, this will be completed at no charge to you if performed at a
Chrysler dealer. Chrysler Canada will not reimburse the cost of the
parts required to complete the recall if the parts are replaced by the
vehicle owner.

Thank you for allowing us to review this matter with you."

no free moogs for us canucks?! :-({|= :(. I will try anyways at the dealer.

Last edited: