Ball Joint Recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm about to buy an '07 KJ Renegade. From what I've found on google, the ball joint recall only effected 2002 to 2006 models.

According to this thread "This recall applies only to the above vehicles built through March 15, 2006 (MDH 031510). "

So is it safe to assume that vehicles manufactured after March 15, 2006 were produced with the newer/better ball joints ?

Thanks

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not any better ball joint at all. I have an 07. They are still a known wear item. You just have to keep an eye on them. If you stay stock height, they will last the longest. They are much more prone to failure if you lift your KJ and put them at a more extreme angle. Best solution is to bite the bullet and buy some JBA UCAs that have a nice grease-able, replaceable ball joint. JBA makes replacements for both lifted and non-lifted KJ.

iamweasel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, guys.
I was just wondering, as there doesn't seem to be any mention of the LBJs after 06. The Rene I'm buying only has 50 000km, so hopefully won't be a problem for a while.

I'd like to lift it, but need to put some new rubber on it first, so won't be lifting it for a little while at least.

Thanks again.