Ball Joint Recall: Front end shimmy after recall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

75,000 miles on my '02 LTD with selectrac.

Had the BJ recall done on Thursday, and now when I reach 72-80 mph, I get a shimmy in the steering wheel. Anyone else have this happen?

I called them about it and am bringing it back in next week. They said they'd "take care of it for me" so I am not anticipating problems, but the tech must not have checked everything out very carefully after replacing the BJs.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bob

VTjeepguy

Reaction score
im getting mine done this thursday. inquired about an alignment, told me it wasnt neccessary. i told him about alot of occurances of problems after the recall work was done and he said they will go over the front end and make sure its good. hope it all goes smooth...

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it probably will. I'm sure we'd be hearing a lot more complaints if it didn't go well much of the time.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
needs alignment...pulls to the left now too (kinda like the way it was when I first had it)...get that shimmy @ the same speeds...but..figure it's just an alignment...I WILL NOT bring it back to my dealer as it's a PITA and I just dont trust them. I'll just bring it to my mechanic and pay the 70 bux to get it done....70+tax will buy my peace of mind...

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I will try to get the dealer to make it right. So far, they've been pretty ok about things. We'll see what happens on Wed/Thu.

jeepgirl0385

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That happened to me too. I figured it was because I had the 36K service and they rotated my tires. I really don't want to take it back to the dealer, they are such a PITA....but I really hate having to drive under 70 so my wheel doesn't shake my arms off! It has a real bad vibration to it now, Jeep has always had vibration...but this is the worst I've seen it.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here is the latest on mine. I dropped it back off and got a call from the service writer today. According to him, the problem was that the wheels were out of balance. He thought that maybe I had lost a wheel weight. So, I was charged for this.

Now, the cynic in me says they caused the problem when they did the work. The open-minded side of me says that I hadn't driven the vehicle at speed on the highway for about a week before having the recall work done, so it is conceivable that I had lost a weight and that noticing it after the recall work was just a coincidence. I am torn on what to do as far as ever going back there again.

Comments?

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emoto said:
Ok, so here is the latest on mine. I dropped it back off and got a call from the service writer today. According to him, the problem was that the wheels were out of balance. He thought that maybe I had lost a wheel weight. So, I was charged for this.

Now, the cynic in me says they caused the problem when they did the work. The open-minded side of me says that I hadn't driven the vehicle at speed on the highway for about a week before having the recall work done, so it is conceivable that I had lost a weight and that noticing it after the recall work was just a coincidence. I am torn on what to do as far as ever going back there again.

Comments?

that honestly doesnt sound to far out of wack, but honestly there really isnt any way to prove if it happened before or after the work was done.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
Emoto said:

Comments?

that honestly doesnt sound to far out of wack, but honestly there really isnt any way to prove if it happened before or after the work was done.

Yeah, I mean it could have happened. The real confusing thing is that my GF drove it several times in the days leading up to the work. Now, she says she didn't hit any big bumps or anything, but I cannot really know for sure.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Emoto said:
especko said:
Emoto said:

Comments?

Yeah, I mean it could have happened. The real confusing thing is that my GF drove it several times in the days leading up to the work. Now, she says she didn't hit any big bumps or anything, but I cannot really know for sure.

well theres the problem you let your gf drive the KJ. haha just kidding but i still dont let me gf drive mine. Im hoping that when i get my jeep fixed soon all goes well otherwise there will be hell to pay.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
especko said:
well theres the problem you let your gf drive the KJ. haha just kidding but i still dont let me gf drive mine. Im hoping that when i get my jeep fixed soon all goes well otherwise there will be hell to pay.

=D> Yeah, I really didn't want her to drive it, but her brother was visiting from NYC along with his russian gf. She is horribly allergic to dogs, to the point where she has an asthmatic reaction and could need hospitalization. The gf rides around with her dog in her car and so the thing is like a doghair factory, and there is no way to take them in and out of Boston in that car. I don't let the idiot dog in the KJ, so it was all we had that was suitable.

Hope the work on yours goes well!

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MoladoGuy said:
Emoto said:
I don't let the idiot dog in the KJ

Hopefully she doesn't see this post...there would be a lot of explaining to do!

Little chance of that. \:D/

On the other hand, I don't think it would surprize her because when I am telling her about somehting stupid that he did, I refer to him as "Einstein"...

(naughty)