F23 ball joint recalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this recall is from 2006.
Water may enter into the front suspension lower ball joints on your Jeep
(VIN: xx). This can cause the ball joint to corrode and separate.
Ball joint separation can result in a loss of steering control and could cause a crash without prior warning.

my 2006 had F23 recall done on it 8/1/2006
fast forward 11 years, (and probably 90K miles) the lower ball joints are tight, but the rubber seal is broken on the inside edge on both sides.

This could cause water to enter the ball joints.

What do you think my chances are to have the recall done again?

I was about to put in new front struts, but I can hear them now "you did the damage putting in the struts" so I need to decide. Of course if they do replace the ball joints, they will have to align it, than after I put in struts it will need to be aligned again :(.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
They won't cover it. Not a snow ball's chance in hell I think.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got to watch some more videos. I am 1/2 way there doing the struts, but you don't have to pull the hub to do struts :(

Anybody changed them without pulling hub or axle?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I got to watch some more videos. I am 1/2 way there doing the struts, but you don't have to pull the hub to do struts :(

Anybody changed them without pulling hub or axle?

Don't have to pull hub or axle to do LBJs
Just remove the LBJ nut pop it off ( thats assuming you said you were installing new coilovers and have the top , UBJ already disconnected )
Then you have the spindle right there to work on it
of course removing axle nut

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So pull the axle nut, pull the upper ball joint stud pull the lower ball joint stud. than slide the axle out of hub correct? ,( And of course related parts that need to come off)

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So pull the axle nut, pull the upper ball joint stud pull the lower ball joint stud. than slide the axle out of hub correct? ,( And of course related parts that need to come off)

Yes sir of course brakes off and other common sense things
better say that as someone , someday will try it without removing everything:happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Axle nut, LBJ nut, UBJ nut, tie rod rod end. Put a block of wood on a jack or something, put that under the LBJ stud and whack the LCA. Should pop right out. Don't remove the axle, just pull it out of the knuckle as you pull it off the Jeep.

justjeeps

Reaction score
this recall is from 2006.
Water may enter into the front suspension lower ball joints on your Jeep
(VIN: xx). This can cause the ball joint to corrode and separate.
Ball joint separation can result in a loss of steering control and could cause a crash without prior warning.

my 2006 had F23 recall done on it 8/1/2006
fast forward 11 years, (and probably 90K miles) the lower ball joints are tight, but the rubber seal is broken on the inside edge on both sides.

This could cause water to enter the ball joints.

What do you think my chances are to have the recall done again?

I was about to put in new front struts, but I can hear them now "you did the damage putting in the struts" so I need to decide. Of course if they do replace the ball joints, they will have to align it, than after I put in struts it will need to be aligned again :(.

When I replace my 03 with a 02 liberty it needed a lot of work, including lower ball joints. I had to buy a ball joint press, which looked like a very heavy duty C clamp. The clamp required a breaker bar to tighten and a blow torch to heat the fitting area. It did come loose with a very loud pop.

I can say there was a moment when I thought this is stupid because there is a lot of pressure on this clamp and I was right there with no safety margin. The new one pressed right in with no issue.

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anybody recall if the recall kit came with Lower control arms as wall?

towpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final Dealer Decision on recall.

everything is now complete.

Here is what my Dealers receipt shows.

Customer states Right front ball joint rubber is deteriorated letting water into ball joint.
Redo Recall. Replace both lower ball joints.
$ N/C

Install Customer Supplied Front Struts.
$210.00

Perform alignment
$89.95

I figure if dealer had not taken care of the ball joints, I would have installed them both when I installed the struts myself.
2 ball joints would have cost me around $100 in parts and I don't have a ball joint press, so maybe $100 in tools = $200.
I buy tools so next job I have them)

So for $10.00 more than my cost for just ball joints/tools (without even including my own labor) I got the struts installed by dealer.

No matter who did the work, it would have needed an alignment.

I think the Tech was paid 6.4 hours. took him around 3.5 hours.

Maybe dealer helped me with out with the recall job because I was sweetening the pot by offering to pay for them to install my complete struts at the same time?

I'm happy.
Dealer is happy.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Nice! Dealer sounds better than mine. Mine doesn't want to warranty work even on my KL.