Bad pinion yoke on corp. 8.25?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, this really dumb founds me. I've replaced the rear upper arm, *visually* the rear LCA's appear to be in good shape (bushings and such) and I've had quite a few front end parts replaced recently but that's besides this. I originally replaced the rear upper because of the usual clunk upon take off, but I've been noticing it more and more lately. I had the ass end jacked up while fixing a flat yesterday and shook the rear tires back and forth and the pinion yoke seemed to have quite a bit of play to it. Now, I'm no expert at axle work but I heard that same damn clunk when I spun the tire back and forth.

Is it possible the pinion yoke could be considered scrap metal and need replacement or would I possibly be looking at something further? :thumbsdown:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Further. The yoke itself has nothing to do with clunk. It's play, excessive tolerance, between ring gear and pinion.(from wear) It can be adjusted by tightening the pinion nut, but even if done correctly, used gears may have a whine at highway speeds afterward.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Further. The yoke itself has nothing to do with clunk. It's play, excessive tolerance, between ring gear and pinion.(from wear) It can be adjusted by tightening the pinion nut, but even if done correctly, used gears may have a whine at highway speeds afterward.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hopefully I can get some free time at work this week and crack open the rear diff then. I just kind of checked it on a whim yesterday. Maybe this will be an excuse for re-gearing then :icon_lol: It does have a bit of a whine around 45-50, but it's specifically from the front, right side is where it seems most prominent. I've been thinking of getting the intermediate and a new CV and calling it a day.