Bad Mass Air Flow Sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deknight

Reaction score
First off, I have a 04 Sport, 5 speed, 4-cylinder. Would a bad mass air flow sensor cause my Liberty to buck/jolt slightly when I accelerate in first gear? It only happens when the engine in warm and the outside air temperature is warm as well. The dealer thought it was the clutch, then after $1600 later it still does it. My uncle said it sounds like the engine, so I changed the spark plugs (ngk) and air filter, ( I was using k&n, but I stopped thinking that maybe I over oiled it). And it drove great for about 6 months. Now its doing it again.... so I changed the spark plugs again, and after about one month its doing it again.... Any ideas? Thanks

memphisgrace

Reaction score
It could. When the mass airflow sensor went out on my Monte it acted similar. It was still under warranty so I took it to the dealership. They looked at it, swore that it was due to my security system and sent me on my way. I got a few miles away from the dealership, just far enough for the car to really warm up, and it started again, then stalled and would not start.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would probably throw a code if the MAF sensor was bad. I was thinking maybe something is wrong with a coil since it stops after you change the plugs but if it was mis-firing it would also throw a code.

Of course Ive got to throw the 'it may be bad gas' out there.

deknight

Reaction score
I checked my codes and so far nothing has come up. After the whole new clutch fiasco, I was sure it was the spark plugs because it was so bad the jeep would really stumble, even when I turned on the a/c. I changed out the cheap $0.98 Champians the dealer put in and everything seemed fine. I guess it could be bad gas, but I buy gas from so many different stations they would all have to be bad.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did you try cleaning the maf? maf's dont always throw a code, though they usually do.

does anything make it go away? like after a bit of driving, or once it is warm, it always does it?

Members online