bad balljoint boots

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The balljoint boots on my al's a-arms have never "fit" right. They always come off the balljoint. The metal band that's supposed to hold them on never holds and grease goes everywhere. I'm pretty sure water gets in them every time it rains too. Has anyone had this problem? should I just get some new ones or what?

Also, you can get those balljoints about anywhere, but the pics all over have a black boot instead of the blue one that they come with from jeepinbyal.com. Has anyone bought their own instead of from jeepinbyal? Just wondering, cause I'm tired of the grease going everywhere. Thanks!

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine leak a bit on the back on top. Just tend to grease them lots. Fill them full then pinch the bottom of the boot to get out what would flick out and seat the top of the boot as best I can.

Moved to a red synthetic grease from the grey goop chassis grease I used initially. not noticeable difference in lubrication but was less messy when it oozed.

I've seen pictures with the black bowl shaped boot but doesn't look like it makes contact with the top of the knuckle and the grease drains out. Sorry but I don't have the link.

Its from late 90's chev trucks so it would be worth checking their parts counter and see one of their stock and if the boot is different then the moog site illustrates as I haven't ordered one as mine are less then 6 months old. Guess my post is more about living with your same problem.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Also, you can get those balljoints about anywhere, but the pics all over have a black boot instead of the blue one that they come with from jeepinbyal.com. Has anyone bought their own instead of from jeepinbyal? Just wondering, cause I'm tired of the grease going everywhere. Thanks!

Yep - I've replaced them once by ordering the Moogs through Rock Auto and they're working out just fine.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine touch with no issues
well should say neither set had any issues with the boots

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may just get some from rockauto. Like I said mine are falling off the balljoint. They're just kinda there holding grease while it plops out of the top and bottom. I'll take a pic later.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I should be awarded the nastiest balljoints award. This is the passenger side which is the worse of the two. :icon_eek:

You must be registered for see images

This is what is behind. You can see that the boot just doesn't stay on the balljoint. :icon_eek:

You must be registered for see images

The boot really is blue, they turn black until you wipe them off again. Anyway, I'll just be getting some from rockauto I think. I emailed Marlin and haven't had a response. Probably just thinks I'm some sort of idiot or something. :shrug:

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem, but also the rubber perished in about 1 year so I just have pieces of rubber hanging around the bj.My boots were black and I also e-mailed jb'al about replacement boots and got no response. Are boot kits available with the concertina type boots that most bj's have?

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just found one side popped off. not sure how long its been like this. should i replace the ball joint or just grease till its vomiting grease?

mightybeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive noticed that everyone has their washer placed either nut/washer/knuckle/boot or nut/knuckle/washer/boot.

my jba uca 4.5s came with the blue boot(looks like spicer/raybestos 500-1062) and the cotter pin lined up perfect with the nut/washer/knuckle/boot. i picked up the moog k6292 with has the smaller looking black boot. found some gm forum where they complain bout the moog boot. but anyway, i would hope that it would line up the same nut/washer/knuckle/boot. anyone use either?

Members online

No members online now.