Backup Camera - Reverse Light Wire - Confirmation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rednel

Reaction score
I installed a backup camera to my 03 Liberty and it works, except that it triggers when I press the brake pedal rather than reverse as it should.

So I know I have spliced into the wrong wire in the tail light after reading some wrong information on the internet about the colour to use.

So rather than get it wrong again does someone know 100% which colours in the tail light I should splice my positive wire into instead?

I attach the wire diagram I found later and it looks to me like BR/LG would be the one? - Brown/Light Green?

If someone can confirm that would be great. Photos of the are installation attached. It is very close to being finished!

You must be registered for see images attach

Rednel

Reaction score
Thanks everyone it works perfectly now! Hopefully this will help someone else so they don't make the mistake I did :)

Last edited:

Rednel

Reaction score
The head unit is a Pioneer MVH 210 ex that cost around $170 CAD. On top of that I had to purchase a double din dash kit (around 45$).
The Pioneer has reverse camera and video capabilities as well as a microphone for heads free.

The backup camera was $17 on amazon.ca - search TKOOFN Vehicle Rear View HD backup camera. It's nice and small and if you mount it on the curve of the rear bumper by way of drilling a small hole and threading a nut in behind the bumper. This was awkward and the hardest part really.

Next the camera needs to be powered so I ran the red and black terminals to the right (Passenger side) tail light. I attached the black by way of a ring terminal to the vehicle for ground and hooked red to the reverse light (green / brown) with a splice. Now you should have power to the camera but only when the vehicle is in reverse which is what you want.

Now from here you have a long length of cable - maybe 18 to 20 ft that has to make its way up front to the head unit. It has a yellow RCA video connector just like you see on the back of tv's and beside that will be a small red trigger wire (which also picks up the power from the tail light but only to trigger your head unit into switching to backup camera mode when those reverse lights come on).

I ran this cable on the underside of the car on the left side (drivers side) away from the exhaust, and any obstructions and cable tied as I went. This cable runs all the way to the engine bay and enters the interior of the car through the firewall. There's a rubber grommet that has several other wires already and there room to fish this one through too. A wire coat hanger with the lead taped on will help get it through.

Once you have this wire inside its fairly easy to get it to the head unit. Now plug the yellow jack plug into the reverse camera socket in the back of the head unit. There's one for video (you don't want) and the other video input is marked RC or similar.

Last step; otherwise the camera will work is to hook up the red trigger wire to the back of the stereo. On the Pioneer it had a label on it saying reverse trigger or similar and was pink but each head unit will have install instructions.

Hope that helps someone else some time.

jwagstaff84

Reaction score
I installed a backup camera to my 03 Liberty and it works, except that it triggers when I press the brake pedal rather than reverse as it should.

So I know I have spliced into the wrong wire in the tail light after reading some wrong information on the internet about the colour to use.

So rather than get it wrong again does someone know 100% which colours in the tail light I should splice my positive wire into instead?

I attach the wire diagram I found later and it looks to me like BR/LG would be the one? - Brown/Light Green?

If someone can confirm that would be great. Photos of the are installation attached. It is very close to being finished!

Thank goodness for the internet! This totally saved me a couple of hours!

3-LIB3RTYS-3

Reaction score
Follow up on this. Doing one very similar.

Using the green and brown wire for positive what would be the negative wire of the reverse light?

Latest posts

Members online