axle bearing/bushing ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little confused .... so have part #5066056AB for the bearing that goes on the end of the intermediate shaft in the diff housing ( outboard end but inboard is same bearing and seal ) ....ive read some that say they just have a plastic bushing there...some have the actually bearing...i received an actually needle bearing. Just want to make sure its the right part and i have everything i need in case i do replace it.

i have both the seal and bearing...nothing else is needed correct ?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
welp ill find out in about an hour if its a cheap plastic bushing in there or an actual bearing....and if it is a bushing ill find out if they bearings listed under that part number work

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Should work they had the bearing to begin with then switched to the plastic

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep that bearing works... int shaft looked fine, cv seemed fine. the plastic bearing/bushing behind the axle seal must have been warn...couldnt really tell because i had to break it in pieces to get it out.

Replaced cv axle, int shaft, seal, and bushing with a metal needle bearing type bearing.... 4wd clunk is gone for now, havent driven it in 4wd much yet but when i did it gave kind of a good pop noise one time....but other than that seems fine ha

update: having some weird intermittent slipping feelings in 4wd

Last edited:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like it is it binding then releasing?

i wouldnt describe it like that, it honestly feels like the int shaft is slipping but only for a split second...the original clunk in 4wd is gone though ha. i just took it in to the shop. no time to rip it apart again and diagnose... plenty of time to price out some 4runners though:happy175:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When does it happen? Like any time while you drive or after turning or shifting?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When does it happen? Like any time while you drive or after turning or shifting?

in 4 fulltime, but only would happen going up my driveway ( about 1/4 mile long, slightly uphill , half paved )

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Could it actually be slipping?

Is it always that front passenger wheel?

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it actually be slipping?

Is it always that front passenger wheel?

the new slipping noise sounds more from the center now ,and feels. It isnt consistent or in sync with wheel rotation, and actually felt fine and was quiet driving it to the shop and getting up to 55-60 mph in 4 full time.....so maybe its in my head but it just felt funny and the random slipping noise concerned me

but when i put the new int shaft back in it was fully seated in both the diff and cv axle, and all bolts were torqued once on the ground and after a test drive. Only noises/problems are in 4 wheel

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is something internal slipping in the tcase. I remember one time I didn't get mine in 4Lo all the way and it felt like it was slipping the in the tcase before it popped into N. Put it back into 4Lo and it was fine. Hopefully I'm completely wrong though! Sorry to hear of the issues you're having.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of is something internal slipping in the tcase. I remember one time I didn't get mine in 4Lo all the way and it felt like it was slipping the in the tcase before it popped into N. Put it back into 4Lo and it was fine. Hopefully I'm completely wrong though! Sorry to hear of the issues you're having.

i really just dont know, ill see what they say hopefully tomorrow. it all came out of the blue. if i had the time to diagnose i would. thanks for your help though !!

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you take any pictures? Think this is the main reason I have some slop in my passenger CV. Thing has been clicking around turns for years and could never figure out what it was. Replaced the tie rod, hub, CV axle and shaft...still clicks. I even thought it might have been the rear bearing at some point and replaced those.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you take any pictures? Think this is the main reason I have some slop in my passenger CV. Thing has been clicking around turns for years and could never figure out what it was. Replaced the tie rod, hub, CV axle and shaft...still clicks. I even thought it might have been the rear bearing at some point and replaced those.

no pictures, but the int shaft looked perfect, no torn boots or any slop in the cvs. The origianl loud knocking noise isnt there anymore, for now at least so my best guess is that it was the cheap platic bearing, replaced it with steal needle bearing

the noises have just changed and changed location now. fluid was full and perfect color and the selector shifts good

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no pictures, but the int shaft looked perfect, no torn boots or any slop in the cvs. The origianl loud knocking noise isnt there anymore, for now at least so my best guess is that it was the cheap platic bearing, replaced it with steal needle bearing

the noises have just changed and changed location now. fluid was full and perfect color and the selector shifts good

Is it as simple as pulling the shafts and using a bearing puller with a slide hammer to get them out? Then appropriately sized socket to get them back in? And would you mind adding part numbers? Really would like to get this done. I'm actually leaking a bit of dif fluid from the passenger side too.

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turns out my passenger side JBA UCA ball joint was loose, needed to put a washer there to tighten it up...it was torqued to spec with coder pin and never has given me problems til now.....still dont know how the noise/feeling i was getting was coming from that but ever since it was fixed no more noise or anything